Accident in alameda 5/12

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
SandyKiteBoy
Joey
Joey
Re: Accident in alameda 5/12

Post by SandyKiteBoy » Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 am

It's such a sad thing to lose such a nice guy. From the kiter community here in NM our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and everyone affected there in Alameda.

:o(

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Tue May 16, 2017 12:43 pm

cleepa wrote:However, the launch at the shack is not the safest place to launch.
Remind me why it was decided that launches should face the road? Seems a lot safer facing water instead (like they do at every other site I've heard of). I remember some debate about this back in the day, but not the details.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Tue May 16, 2017 1:12 pm

MehYam wrote:
cleepa wrote:However, the launch at the shack is not the safest place to launch.
Remind me why it was decided that launches should face the road? Seems a lot safer facing water instead (like they do at every other site I've heard of). I remember some debate about this back in the day, but not the details.
They shouldn't face the road. You should launch towards the water.

Alameda is not a sketchy launch, you just have a small area to make decisions with if you launch at the shack, you have more time and space downwind of the pump (the box with the antenna on it). Just because a place doesn't have a OB sized beach area means it is sketchy.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

dgrissom
Joey
Joey

Post by dgrissom » Tue May 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Agree with the other posts about Alameda launch. Downwind is safer and better. Even a couple blocks downwind on the long beach. Alot more room to react if something goes wrong, no hard objects, less crowded, flat beach, no sandy berm like near the shack. Wind is steadier down there too, which is key when you are learning.

Boardsports
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Location:Crown Beach Alameda, Coyote Pt San Mateo, & San Francisco

Post by Boardsports » Tue May 16, 2017 2:34 pm

On behalf of our entire team, we are all deeply saddened by the tragic accident on Friday. We express our deepest sympathies and condolences to Brett's wife Carla, his two sons, and his entire family. Although we did not know Brett personally, both Rebecca and I have friends that were dear friends with Brett. We are shocked and tremendously saddened by this terrible tragedy. He was a loving husband, a loving father, and an esteemed member of our Bay Area community. So our hearts go out to his entire family, and to the community at large, while we all try to make sense of it and to heal.

Jane & Rebecca
--
Boardsports California
Alameda - San Mateo - SF
Voted "Best of the Bay"
https://boardsportscalifornia.com/

Adamnels
Joey
Joey

Post by Adamnels » Tue May 16, 2017 3:55 pm

I was a close friend of Brett's. Just wanted to thank you all for trying to save him. I don't know all the circumstances, but I'm sure you did your best to keep a loving father and friend alive. He will be missed.

Spense
Joey
Joey

Post by Spense » Tue May 16, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm very sorry to hear the news as it was posted on other forums. My condolences.

I can only speak to my past experience and opinion of kiting at alameda and not of the events that happened. I would rush to alameda on 5-7m (30mph+) spring days when it was more frequent about 10 years ago. High winds behave very differently than average winds. On a high wind day, the wind around the shack is extremely turbulent and unstable. Not a good idea to be using as a wind shadow or walk with the kite around the path, people have been thrown into the road. I prefer to launch while standing in the water because of the angle of the wind with the beach as a previous post mentioned. I'm just pointing out that standing with a kite near the shack on a very windy day can be extremely dangerous. It's also windier by the green box probably from the gusts wrapping around the building where the road curves.

I agree with the idea of launching towards the water when possible but there are launches such as c-street and county line in SoCal where the wind angle is better if u stand towards the water. Outer banks has launches while standing in the water. Slingshots old HQ in Stevenson had people swimming in the gorge at times during launch/landing. That's my opinion.

Sorry again and I hope everyone is safe wherever you kite.

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Fri May 19, 2017 12:37 pm

People generally do launch towards water at Alameda.
But, I don't understand why people routinely bring their kite to zenith after launching.
It's not always necessary and sometimes better to, as they say, "keep it low and go".
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Sat May 20, 2017 7:10 am

Here is an article regarding the accident: http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/05/19/ ... meda-beach

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Sun May 21, 2017 1:10 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:Here is an article regarding the accident: http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/05/19/ ... meda-beach
This story is such bullshit. I am going to be on the phone with the reporter on Monday. I had emailed him immediately after I read the article regarding the inaccuracies of his report. If anyone else wants to speak to him privately message me your phone number or contact information and I will get you in touch as well. Or please email him yourself and let him know.