New Kiting GoPro Mount

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Cali_Rider
Contributor
Contributor
New Kiting GoPro Mount

Post by Cali_Rider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Hey Everyone,

I made a new GoPro mount and wanted to share. It attaches to the end of the control bar and provides a pretty unique point of view. It's sturdy, adjustable and easy to attach.

I am still fine tuning the mount but if you are interested in one and want to help me test it, please feel free to reach out!

Peter

https://youtu.be/cH_i9OPibtU

Cali_Rider
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Kiting GoPro Mount

Post by Cali_Rider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:47 pm

And a few photos...
20 (Small).JPG
20 (Small).JPG (116KiB)Viewed 8005 times
15 (Small).JPG
15 (Small).JPG (106.98KiB)Viewed 8005 times
2 (Small).JPG
2 (Small).JPG (109.52KiB)Viewed 8005 times

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:58 am

I like the angle and perspective from that attachment; it's perhaps the best I've seen. I hope you're including a safety breakaway release and attachment/camera flotation.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:36 am

I love the shots and the POV but I can't help and wonder how much that thing might weigh, does it make your bar all wonky?

(mind you the last gopro I used was gen 1, it was a brick !$*( )

lieutenantglorp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lieutenantglorp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:09 am

MJ0_ Any pics of the mount? 3D printable?

Cali_Rider
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cali_Rider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks, guys!
windstoked wrote:I like the angle and perspective from that attachment; it's perhaps the best I've seen. I hope you're including a safety breakaway release and attachment/camera flotation.
The mount is setup for a GoPro which has its own floaty back - so the mount itself does not have any floatation. However, the floaty on the GoPro is buoyant enough to float both.

I haven't looked into a safety breakaway, but it is a good idea. Do you mean between the camera and mount, or between the mount and bar?
ozreiuosn wrote:I love the shots and the POV but I can't help and wonder how much that thing might weigh, does it make your bar all wonky?

(mind you the last gopro I used was gen 1, it was a brick !$*( )
That's a great question and it was one of my main concerns before testing it. It really depends on the camera and set of attachments. I've tried it both with a Hero 4 and long attachment (about 6" off the end of the bar) and a Hero Session with only 1 small GoPro link.

With the session and small link, you don't even know its there. With the other setup, you feel it a bit more, but it did not impact my riding at all. The video and photos were both shot with the Hero 4 and long attachment.
lieutenantglorp wrote:MJ0_ Any pics of the mount? 3D printable?
Yup. 3D printed through Shapeways. I have a picture of the old version. It was specifically designed to fit my 2012 North bar. Now I am currently in the process of re-designing the mount in order to be more universal.
IMG_2079 (Small).JPG
IMG_2079 (Small).JPG (61.67KiB)Viewed 7902 times
IMG_2078 (Small).JPG
IMG_2078 (Small).JPG (58.22KiB)Viewed 7902 times
Peter

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:17 am

I was thinking if using the mount with an extender to the GoPro there could be a risk of camera entanglement with something like the kite safety leash in a crash and lead to a death loop, so it would be better if it detached if a significant force was applied to it.
Maybe GoPro has an attachment with a safety breakaway feature one could use. This could be more important if one wanted to use an even longer extension than yours.
As far as getting different perspectives is concerned, something else to consider is including longer curved extender options placing the camera more in front or in back of the bar or more overhead.

robert45
Joey
Joey

Post by robert45 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:04 pm

I'd like to help you.