Will I be sitting around waiting for the right conditions?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:34 pm

I was about to ask the same question. I am #150 and was thinking about a Bomba 13 for learning, but now when I read this I might go for the 15 or 17 (Bomba 15 is like 13 LEI). Does this make sense?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:53 am

12 is good for the one-kite quiver (except for intermediates/experts at Alameda perhaps). I rode a 16 last year 80% of the time and I weigh 260, so a beginner on a 15 or 17? Too risky I think.
Go bigga'

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:29 am

elli wrote:I was about to ask the same question. I am #150 and was thinking about a Bomba 13 for learning, but now when I read this I might go for the 15 or 17 (Bomba 15 is like 13 LEI). Does this make sense?
man im not quite sure what kind of winds alameda gets in the summer but yea a 17 would be the bomber of choice if i was at alameda, but youre 150lbs so you may be able to get away with a 15bomber,

i personally had the 13 and 10.5 bombers, i found the 10.5 too powerful for my needs at waddell when i had it.

one kite quiver

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:16 pm

I would stay away from Larkspur if your just learning. Even further from China camp. Don't be a statistic.

Alameda to learn. 3rd ave and rio if you have an instructor.

I have been at it for almost 5years. Larkspur is not beginner friendly and shuts down in minutes.

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:24 pm

Josh,

I think you are getting too techy on this as you stated. I did the same as you as spent the whole winter a year ago reading all the forums and getting more confused (and smarter too). I really hate to say it cuz Ollie is a good guy but $250 for a kite is nothing. If it is used and has a tear in it big woop. You are going to abuse the thing so as long as the bladders hold air i think you are good. And as far as a board is concerned I bought a used bomber board off ollie which is a 143. The board suited me fine and i would still be riding it if I didn't have money burning a hole in my pocket this winter ;-) You only need one of those big tanker boards 150+ when you are getting your lessons. By the time you are done with you lessons you will have enought skill to stay up on a shorter board. Might i add again you need to be flying that damn trainer kite!

As far as riding waves I wouldn't feel comfortable at the level i am at because I don't have the kite skills to really do it right.

Blair