SFO Bay Water Quality??

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
madraelle
Joey
Joey
SFO Bay Water Quality??

Post by madraelle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm flying into SFO this weekend for some kiting and noticed the water quality alerts are suggesting "no swimming"?? Are people still kiting in places like Crissy Field? Is this a common problem or very unique to the heavy rains or a sewage event? https://sfwater.org/cfapps/LIMS/beachma ... family=104

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Re: SFO Bay Water Quality??

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:52 am

http://www.marinij.com/general-news/201 ... -by-storms

San Francisco Bay awash in pollution unleashed by storms

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:52 am

Hey madraelle, you are "flying in this weekend" specifically for kiting, or you are here for other reasons and want to bring your gear in case the conditions line up? Either way, water quality is poor right now pretty much all along the west coast. Combined sewers are overwhelmed by the rain, resulting in raw sewage overflow. In Seattle, the main treatment plant failed last week so it's even worse up there. Anyway, no the water quality is not great right now, but as you can imagine there are still people kiting it.

If you are planning a trip to the Bay Area specifically for kiting, I would recommend you change your flights and come during our more traditional season, where winds are driven by steady and predictable thermals as opposed to storm fronts. I don't know what the winds will be like this weekend, it's too early to tell. But I wouldn't plan a trip around it, if that's your intent.

madraelle
Joey
Joey

Post by madraelle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks for the response - i'm on business and bringing my gear. Hopefully it will wash out a bit by Saturday/Sunday so i can get me some airtime. I'm kiting mostly in South Florida but have an office in San Fran that i visit occasionally.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Most of the guys that ride on the bay have developed some immunity to the crap in the water. But still, every now and then, when I ride during winter, I get sick from bad water, especially after a big storm. My personal rule of thumb is catch a ride on frontal storm winds before the rain hits or ride three days after the storm hit and let some of the poo dissipate in the ocean.

Looks like its gonna be windy Sunday, but also lots of rain in the forecast.
You did not mention your skill level, winter sessions here are intermediate to advanced.
Alameda or Half Moon Bay harbor might be your best bet on a southerly winds here.

Coast line might not be ride-able. If you surf, you might want to plan on surfing instead. Winter is surfing season here.

ko138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ko138 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:45 pm

October 2016 (before) - February 2017 (after) Satellite Image of the Bay.
Attachments
before-after.png
before-after.png (409.8KiB)Viewed 5592 times