PISMO 2017!!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Kyle
Regular
Regular
PISMO 2017!!!

Post by Kyle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:37 pm

April 21-23, official announcement: https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2017-xba-kitexpo/

Looking forward to seeing you all there! As always, thanks Marina for the epic planning effort! BAK

brosefanie
Joey
Joey

Re: PISMO 2017!!!

Post by brosefanie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 am

Sounds great!! I've wanted to go for the past 3 years and finally booked a trip. MJ0_

How's the kiting for beginners/intermediate? I want to bring a friend who's learning to go upwind consistently but I've heard there's big waves, even inside. True?

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:27 am

yeah, KiteXpo gets a little crazy, even for the advanced kiters. There can be a hundred kites in the water at a time, so you really need to have good control to not tangle lines. The wind is dead onshore, which means if you can't go upwind, you will never got off the beach. The waves can break far out, but you do get some inside breakers and lots of white-wash, which can make it even harder to edge upwind.

That all being said, I would not recommend beginners kiting at pismo, especially during the Xpo. It's a really fun weekend for all, with tons of stoke, and people are usually very understanding of everyone in the water and pretty polite. If you want to go out, try to find a spot away from the demos and maybe wait for it to be less crowded. It is a big, sandy beach... which definitely helps. But it can feel too small at times during the Xpo, which honestly can also make it more fun in a weird way:) See you down there!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:15 pm

I've been saying for years that they should be only allowing intermediate and above "OCEAN experienced kiters" to be able to partake in the demo. I've been at the expo too many times where intermediate to advanced level BAY, RIVER, and LAKE experienced kiters are struggling to get through the surf zone and crowds. It's the worst cluster-F I've ever seen at an event and somewhat dangerous. I got my kite bumped and lines tangled by others who couldn't get past the break or didn't know how to kite in onshore winds and surf. Getting in an efficient demo was challenging to say the least.
Personally I avoid it now because of this. If they ever make the necessary changes to make it safe and effective, I may attend it again.
Enjoy the chaos!

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:19 pm

what's this I hear about the NB campground being closed from rain damage... does that mean its by hotel or getting burried at Oceano?

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:49 pm

latest forecast from Marina:

FORECAST: Strong to gale-force (25 to 38 mph) northwesterly winds along the California coastline will generate a 7- to 9-foot northwesterly (310-degree, deep-water) sea and swell (with a 5- to 14-second period) on Thursday into Sunday. A 1-foot Southern Hemisphere (205-degree, deep-water) swell (with a 22- to 25 second period) will arrive along the Central Coast on Thursday, building to 1 to 3 feet (with an 18- to 20-second period) on Friday into Saturday. A pattern of Santa Lucia (northeasterly) winds developing during the night and morning hours and shifting out of the northwest during the afternoon hours will start Friday and will continue through Sunday. This condition will allow North County temperatures to warm into the 80s and perhaps the low 90s this weekend, while coastal valleys will range between the low to mid 80s. The beaches are expected to reach the 70s.