Twintip festival at Waddell

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Twintip festival at Waddell

Post by kitet » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:53 am

First time this year at Waddell (although I have been riding Waddell for many years) and I was amazed at the number of twintips.

Is this a new thing this season or just an exceptionally busy twintip day?

I would say 1/3 or 1/4 of the riders on the water were on twintips. I don't have anything against people riding twintips at Waddell but it's annoying on busy days like today to have to deal with so many people on twintips completely oblivious of wave etiquette.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Re: Twintip festival at Waddell

Post by Tony Soprano » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:02 am

My opinion only, is that it is about skill level and staying in your comfort zone.
Some will advance to a directional board in the future. Welcome to the weekend in peak summer, 17 years after kite-boarding took off.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:06 am

there are plenty of waves to be had at Waddell, no reason to blame a twin tipper for not getting any. 25-33% probably doesn't constitute a festival, and the ones I've see this summer have been no more "in the way" than anyone else. Kiting the coast requires a good consistent jibe and comfort in surf conditions, my guess is many of them are working on their jibes in the bay (at 3rd, Alameda, Sherman) but using the small days at the coast during the summer to get more comfortable in the surf and learn things like wave etiquette and breaking points of waves. At least that's how I advanced.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Some people just like twin tips, even in the waves.

I've noticed some folks taking twin tips out just to change things up a little. Although the assumption is that somebody on a twin tip doesn't know what they're doing on the coast, that is......just an assumption, and not always a good one.

For guys that are jumping in the wave zone (and floundering) or clueless about the rotation, somebody usually will educate them about the error of their ways pretty quickly.

Twin tips or not, Waddell on any given weekend day is kind of a shit show, but you don't have to kite right in front of the parking lot if you want some room.