Kite worth repairing?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
andydavis
Contributor
Contributor
Kite worth repairing?

Post by andydavis » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:08 am

This is (was) a 2011 model year Liquid Force 10 m (that I bought in 2013 as part of a package, but then sat around for two year until I made the transition to kiting last summer...hence, it really only had about 1 year of use on it). Saturday at the Albany racetrack beach (it was a windy day), the middle panel just split (while it was flying) the entire width from the leading edge to the t.e. tape. I'm pretty sure it's ruined.

1) I am a beginner/intermediate...is it something I could have done?
2) It seems to me that this shouldn't have happened
3) Is it worth repairing? I think if it could be repaired for < $300 it might be worth it. (I have a new 10 m arriving Wednesday).
Attachments
my kite.jpg
my kite.jpg (1.42MiB)Viewed 2528 times

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kite worth repairing?

Post by dwaynej » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:23 am

If it just split without you doing anything, likely the fabric was degraded from previous use/storage. I would not bother fixing it.

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:55 am

andydavis wrote:This is (was) a 2011 model year Liquid Force 10 m (that I bought in 2013 as part of a package, but then sat around for two year until I made the transition to kiting last summer...hence, it really only had about 1 year of use on it). Saturday at the Albany racetrack beach (it was a windy day), the middle panel just split (while it was flying) the entire width from the leading edge to the t.e. tape. I'm pretty sure it's ruined.

1) I am a beginner/intermediate...is it something I could have done?
2) It seems to me that this shouldn't have happened
3) Is it worth repairing? I think if it could be repaired for < $300 it might be worth it. (I have a new 10 m arriving Wednesday).
I would say it might not be worth it but depends on the condition of the fabric and if you really like the kite. If the kite didn't rip off the LE then it might only cost about $160 at most to fix it.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:35 pm

dude, just tape it until it falls apart again, then dump it. Not worth a repair beyond a stupid one.

I see duffle bags ;-)
G