New job in Cupertino, where to live for regular kiting?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
gretzteam
Joey
Joey
New job in Cupertino, where to live for regular kiting?

Post by gretzteam » Sun May 29, 2016 9:03 am

Hi,
I just got a job in Cupertino and now trying to decide where to live. I'd like to be near a kitesurf spot so I can go regularly easily. Any suggestions?
I read that some people live in Santa Cruz and commute with one of the buses. Are there actually good spot near Santa Cruz downtown? Or would you suggest something close to San jose / Santa Clara?
To me the proximity to the spot is what matters most, as after a long work day, there won't be much time for packing up the gears etc...Being there solves that problem.

Thanks!

metabon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New job in Cupertino, where to live for regular kiting?

Post by metabon » Sun May 29, 2016 10:34 am

Here's an overview of kite spots in the area:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... m.php?f=23

3rd Ave in San Mateo is the spot closest to Cupertino, it's on the Bay:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... f=23&t=832

In Santa Cruz, you'd probably end up riding at Scott's or Waddell, on the coast:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... f=23&t=845

You might want to spend a day driving around the area to get a sense of conditions and distances involved. Unless you have flexible hours, I'm not sure after-work kiting on the coast is realistic if you work in Cupertino.

sailorgirl1954
Joey
Joey

Post by sailorgirl1954 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:44 am

Live near work, Cupertino fantastic locaion. Can get to any spot from there. Santa Cruz coast very isolated + attitude. Do not kite Waddell unless you want to join both the human and animal food chain, stay in bay area, just keep your mouth shut (water quality toxic). Best area in world to live though. Fly the red eye to DR and PR from SFO for no nonsense kiting, gin clear h20 and fantastic locals, no rules or attitude. And rest/bars on the beach at landing zone, unheard of here. Ciao

gretzteam
Joey
Joey

Post by gretzteam » Mon May 30, 2016 9:12 am

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Read all about most spots, it really seems like there are no real spot right in Santa Cruz, making living there less of a golden mine - it makes for quite a big commute, but the nearest spot is a good 20 miles north, makes it hard for after work...

Thanks for the tips,

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mighty » Tue May 31, 2016 1:53 pm

gretzteam wrote: it makes for quite a big commute, but the nearest spot is a good 20 miles north, makes it hard for after work...
TIC

Kiteboardertony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kiteboardertony » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:24 pm

Theres a great place to ride maybe 10 min. (or less). From Cupertino you just gotta find it cause its kinda a secret for those who live in the south bay...... And 3rd ave is only 25 min from Cupertino if you get on the 101 before 3:00pm.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:44 am

I'm sure one of the south bay locals can PM you with some info about the spots down there. I know over the years folks have scouted and successfully found a few. Good luck!

gretzteam
Joey
Joey

Post by gretzteam » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:53 am

Hi guys,
All appreciated. I'll get down there in July and try to discover those 'secret' spots! Having the ability to go on weekdays regularly would be a big plus...keeps your mind fresh, and avoid the Santana Row trap hahaha

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:37 am

Burlingame/Redwood City/San Mateo would be my choice if I worked in Cupertino. Kite 3rd on your way home and hit the spots farther away on the weekends.