Kite diving extremely fast on right turns

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
it_began_in_africa
Joey
Joey
Kite diving extremely fast on right turns

Post by it_began_in_africa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd post this question here as I'm trying to workout what I should investigate to solve this problem. I have a 10m Naish Pivot that has recently started diving hard with any input to the right side of the bar compared to the left which feels normal. I also fly a 12m pivot with the same bar setup and both left/right turns are well balanced. Its odd to be riding and always have to be extra cautious with any right input.

What should I be checking to try fix this? The lines are connecting to the exact same position on both ends of the kite and if it was the bar/lines I think I would've picked it up on the 12m.

Thanks!

JRaut
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kite diving extremely fast on right turns

Post by JRaut » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Check out your line lengths:

Hook all 4 lines onto a fence and walk backwards. All should be the same length with your trim-strap out.

You can deal with middle lines being different from outer lines with your trim strap. But if the two middles are different or the two steering lines are different, there's your problem.

JR

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:04 pm

if the bar is working fine with your 12m, then it must be kite-related. Check the bridal of your 10m and make sure knot locations on all steering lines (coming off the kite) are the same distance from the kite.

dboardfox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dboardfox » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:29 pm

I have the same problem with a kite and I will be watching this closely. Things I checked when kite is pumped up on level ground make sure wing tips are same height off ground. If not could be twisted bladder. I replaced my bladder but didnt solve my problem. Measure bridle lengths make sure they are identical. After that you are screwed and might have stretched the kite which I think I did to mine. I was a one side wonder for a season with this kite as I was only jumping in one direction and putting hard stress over and over in one direction. This may or may not be your situation but thats what I concluded with my kite. Hopefully someone on this forum can solve this. Learned to jump both ways quick as I dont want to blow through kites lol.
good luck

mcfly777
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mcfly777 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:48 am

sounds like a twisted bladder to me. Bar seems fine if it's flying a different kite well. Also since you mention that the kite flies fast to one side, if it was the bridle you'd be able to see it by now. the advice given by "dboarfox" above sounds right.

it_began_in_africa
Joey
Joey

Post by it_began_in_africa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 am

As soon as the wind picks up again I'll let you know what I find...

How is a twisted bladder generally repaired?

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:05 am

Another thing you may want to check is the Bar/Line Adjusters on the Naish bar to see if they're set up equal. If the right side line is set on the wide setting (51cm) and the left side line is on the narrow setting (45cm), your lines would then be out of center and favoring the right side and increasing the leverage onto that side. When holding the bar with one hand this would be especially noticeable.
Since you stated that the 12m feels balanced, I'm not totally convince that your lines are out of center, but it may be worth double checking.

it_began_in_africa
Joey
Joey

Post by it_began_in_africa » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:17 pm

I laid out the lines on Friday afternoon to check and it did seem the right line was shorter than the left. Balanced them out and the 10m feels much better now. Thanks for the tips.