So does Matching Bars really Matter?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dboardfox
Contributor
Contributor
So does Matching Bars really Matter?

Post by dboardfox » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:03 pm

So currently I have a few kites 12m envy 12 switchblade 10m envy. I am currently using a cpr liquid force bar. I also own a switch bar that I rarely use. I also just purchased the new bandit 9 in 12m. (If anyone is looking for 12m envy or switchblades I am selling btw). So my cpr bar I use exclusively and I also never use the depower because the handle throw is huge. When I have to depower the below the bar depower is garbage and basically requires me to put the kite at zenith and drop in the water. The switch bar the handle sucks and while it does have above the bar depower i lose the length/throw in my depower which I do not like especially in weird gusty winds. OK SO THE REAL QUESTION IS IT WORTH MATCHING BARS TO KITES? Should I get the bandit bar for the bandit 9?

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Re: So does Matching Bars really Matter?

Post by Yoda » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:23 pm

dboardfox wrote:I am currently using a cpr liquid force bar.
Just to confirm, what size CPR bar do you have? 50cm or 55cm?

When I have to depower the below the bar depower is garbage and basically requires me to put the kite at zenith and drop in the water.
Sounds like you may have the chicken loop affixed to your harness upside down. Is the trim-strap and cleat facing up or is it down when you hook in? I'll admit the CPR depower trim is not the easiest to operate, but you should not have to put the kite at zenith and stop to adjust it.

The switch bar the handle sucks and while it does have above the bar depower i lose the length/throw in my depower which I do not like especially in weird gusty winds.
The depower throw on the Switch bar can be adjusted for more length. Have you experimented with this?

OK SO THE REAL QUESTION IS IT WORTH MATCHING BARS TO KITES?
Many will say matching bars is the best. This holds especially true for insuring safety, however, if two bars for example are the same or nearly the same size, have the same or nearly the same depower throw (or can be adjusted), have the same safety system (with compatible kite), have the same knot attachment orientation and correct line lengths, and have close or identical front line V-points, then by all means it should work equally well.

Should I get the bandit bar for the bandit 9?
Here's the kicker... F-One's bar comes in two sizes, 45cm and 52cm. The 12m bandit is tuned around their 52cm bar. If your CPR bar is 55cm, you may notice a slight increase in the kite's responsiveness (reaction) and the opposite with the 50cm.
Your Switch bar can be adjusted to 55cm as well, so it will also increase the responsiveness.
Tip: Measure the depower throw length you have set on your CPR bar and then watch this vid to adjust your Switch bar. This vid shows them shortening the depower length, so do the opposite and pull the rope the other way and reset it. Check the owners manual for more detail on this adjustment too (like the max distance allowed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcA9MqtjC6A
Last edited by Yoda on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Some other things that could potentially be an issue for compatibility would be the knot attachment orientation and possibly the lower front line V-point.
The orientation can be easily rectified by reversing or attaching reversed pigtails to the bridle or on the ends of your lines.
The V-point is controversial, but it seems to be more of an issue with kites designed around a bar with a low V being used with a high V bar. In this case the Bandit is the opposite, so you're in a good position.

dboardfox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dboardfox » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:32 pm

Lots of points to address. Here we go.
55cm cpr bar and yes the chicken loop is oriented in the correct manner. And yes I do have to stop to adjust depower. I have no leverage to pull depower where the depower strap is located. Not a big deal though because fully powered my reach covers the whole throw.
Switch bar; have adjusted for throw length but it is really the crap grip that I don't like. I admit I rarely use it I might just wrap it with something cushy and go back out on it a few times.
Should I ride a F-one bar. Well I guess this is going to be one of those try it til you like it ordeals.

Lastly what do you all think is the best bar on the market?

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:04 pm

dboardfox wrote:Lots of points to address. Here we go.
55cm cpr bar Thanks! and yes the chicken loop is oriented in the correct manner. Good! And yes I do have to stop to adjust depower. I have no leverage to pull depower where the depower strap is located. Next time try a combination of depowering and riding towards the kite a bit. This should reduce the tension enough to unlock the rope (at least it did for me). I got that tip from the LF rep. Not a big deal though because fully powered my reach covers the whole throw.
Switch bar; have adjusted for throw length but it is really the crap grip that I don't like. I know what you mean. I tried their bar and it's not the most comfy. I admit I rarely use it I might just wrap it with something cushy and go back out on it a few times.
Should I ride a F-one bar. Well I guess this is going to be one of those try it til you like it ordeals.
Since both of your bars may work, I'd test it out first before buying an F-One bar. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Lastly what do you all think is the best bar on the market?
I would presume North since most bars in just the last few years have migrated towards designs that "mimic" the North bars. North's IronHeart release is an industry benchmark. Since 2015 their bars are now single-line safety which is a nice improvement. I've heard good things about Ozone's bar too. For below-the-bar depower, I'd say Naish and Slingshot have the best bars.

androka
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by androka » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:51 pm

This has been discussed in previous posts, here's a good one
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... =1&t=13786

Main thing for me was single line flag versus two line flag. I use a Slingshot compstick 20 inch bar with 23 meter lines for all Single Line flag kites and a RRD Global V4 or V5 (can't remember which it is) for two line flag.

Lots of guys in East Bay use the North bar for their Naish Pivots. So its pretty common to see someone using a bar from one mfg for a different mfg kite. Although it can be dangerous and you can waste a lot of time thinking the wind is weird when its just the way you've tried setting up your system. YMMV....

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Over the years I've summed it up as - when punching out:

2 line flag bar on a 1 line flag kite can sometimes leave a kite that won't fully lie back

And then 1 line flag bar on 2 line flag kite can sometimes be a pinwheel