Extending the Life of Your Chicken Loop

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Extending the Life of Your Chicken Loop

Post by OliverG » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:36 am

One of the most common forms of equipment failure in kiteboarding is when your chicken loop trim line breaks while you are out kiteboarding. With normal use, the trim line wears out due to friction from sheeting in and out. Some manufacturers cover this line with a plastic tube which eliminates this problem altogether, however most control bars on the market today do not have this protective tube and are subject to breaking without much notice.

When I first started kiteboarding someone told me to dip my trim line in candle wax to extend the life of the line. The wax acts as a lubricant and reduces the wear of the line. Although this works to a degree, itís messy, candle wax doesnít stick very well to the trim line and it wears off easily. Then I discovered bow string wax thanks to my father in-law who is an avid bow hunter. This is stuff is easy to apply and works much better than candle wax. You can buy it at any hunting store (about $3) and it comes in a tube, similar to a large chap stick. All you have to do is apply a little to your trim line, and then using either a leather glove or a piece of chamois, rub the wax hard and fast enough that it gets hot and bonds to the line (donít use your bare hands, youíll get serious rope burn!). All told it takes about 3 minutes to do and it really makes a big difference. If you do it once every 5-6 sessions, youíll never break another chicken loop trim line.

By Alonso Vargas

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:41 am

Good Idea. I like your proactive approach to your equipment!!
Unhooking works pretty good too,
L.M.G.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu May 12, 2005 9:38 am

Has anyone tried using the bow string wax? If I wasn't able to find any at a local sport/hunting store, what would be a good replacement be?

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Thu May 12, 2005 3:44 pm

don't they sell a similar product at west marine????

Blair

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Extending the Life of Your Chicken Loop

Post by OliverG » Thu May 12, 2005 6:00 pm

BayAreaKite wrote: All you have to do is apply a little to your trim line, and then using either a leather glove or a piece of chamois, rub the wax hard and fast enough that it gets hot and bonds to the line (donít use your bare hands, youíll get serious rope burn!).

By Alonso Vargas
I've heard it called a lot of things - johnson, willie, etc., but never "trim line"! [-X

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu May 12, 2005 7:29 pm

So I should be able to walk into West Marine and ask if they have anything to service my johnson, willie, or trim line?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu May 12, 2005 7:47 pm

Exactly.

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:03 am

Wax on, wacks off Daniel san...