3rd Ave lower and upper coves fill

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
tegirinenashi
Contributor
Contributor
Re: 3rd Ave lower and upper coves fill

Post by tegirinenashi » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:40 pm

In the light of the latest incident I'm reincarnating this thread (rather than hijacking the incident one).

It seems like the problem is always the downwind rocks on the bike path. Therefore, covering them with sand would prevent, or greatly ameliorate it. Please note that this is much less comprehensive solution than Jack's proposal of restoring the entire upper launch area to circa 2005 or so. Couple of truckloads of sand (similar to what they distribute for filling flood protective sand bags) dumped over the rocks is something the city can easily do.

Yes, the bay is formally a jurisdiction of the Department of Endangered Water Fowl, not the city. Yet, from the levee project documents I infer that the city can do things within 10 feet of the levee -- and this is more than enough to cover the rocks.

alexglebov
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alexglebov » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:52 pm

I agree that covering rocks with sand should help with reducing the number of launch accidents. Maybe just keep the sand in the bags to reduce the wind erosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Yeah, just back a few dumptrucks full of sand into the rip rap, and that'll make the rocks softer to crash into. Plus it should last for many winters! City should have no problems paying for that... DEQE, on the other hand...

Dammit, I'm going to have to start kiting there again just to see what you girls are whining about. Remember when they built the duck pond where we used to rig windsurfing sails - wetlands mitigation so builders could develop where some of you even live now - and we thought it was the end of the world??

I'm still waiting for a damned tiki bar at the lower launch.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:55 pm

OK, I apologize... the actual girls at Third rip instead of whine!! ;-)

tegirinenashi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tegirinenashi » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 pm

Well, only now I noticed Alex's safety thread, and admit that having 2 threads for the same issue is little bit excessive. In a similar venue, a suggestion to shred_da_gorge: if you want to add something to your message, you can just edit the post and amend it with P.S.