3rd Ave lower and upper coves fill

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: 3rd Ave lower and upper coves fill

Post by jrg » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:00 pm

I vote to concentrate on what we really need (which is fill for the upper launch) and don't distract the issue with unneeded requests for the lower launch. I think its also very tough to get approvals for bay infill but might be easier to "restore" the upper launch.

marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinkiter » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:14 pm

jrg wrote:I vote to concentrate on what we really need (which is fill for the upper launch) and don't distract the issue with unneeded requests for the lower launch. .
+1

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am

marinkiter wrote:
jrg wrote:I vote to concentrate on what we really need (which is fill for the upper launch) and don't distract the issue with unneeded requests for the lower launch. .
+1
+2
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Batshitcrazy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batshitcrazy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:04 pm

+3

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:45 am

Tegirxxxxxxxxxxx:
JRG is right...just concentrate on the upper launch.
Some thoughts:
1) the Parks and Rec Dept was responsible for the upgrade (turf rigging areas, bathroom, etc) and do NOT consider the upper launch as part of the Baywinds Park. So you'll probably need to work with the Public Works department
2) Previous letter from McGrath on the subject indicates that the City will need to take interest/lead the effort. To date, they have not
3) your proposal for "sand" at the lower launch show sand that will do no good. To launch a kites takes about 70-75' of room. then there needs to be some buffer. That means sand would need to extend from the seawall probably a minimum of 100''. However, at the lower tides the seawall is about 15' high to the path and then another 15' from the path to the golf course creating a wind shadow of probably 150-200' from the seawall. The length of the lower launch is aprroximately 275'. So, you can see, that your triangle configuration is bogus
3) Extending the current lower launch by adding sand woulld probably invite more "beach goers" with kids and umbrellas, etc. Then we'll have similar problems to Alameda but confined to a much smaller area aas they have 4 miles of beach.
4) R U a resident of Foster City?
I am one of the original kiters at third and don't recognize your name. Is Tegirxxxxxx a screen name or your real name? Why don't you come down to the lower launch and introduce yourself and we can talk more...not just with me but other regulars there.
Bottom line....strongly suggest you concentrate on the upper launch
steve
Last edited by steve on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:21 am

steve wrote:Tegrxxxxxxxxxxx:
JRG is right...just concentrate on the upper launch.
Some thoughts:
1) the Parks and Rec Dept was responsible for the upgrade (turf rigging areas, bathroom, etc) and do NOT consider the upper launch as part of the Baywinds Park. So you'll probably need to work with the Public Works department
2) Previous letter from McGrath on the subject indicates that the City will need to take interest/lead the effort. To date, they have not
3) your proposal for "sand" at the lower launch show sand that will do no good. To alunch a kite takes about 70-75' or room. then there needs to be some buffer. That means sand would need to extend from the seawall probably a minimum of 100''. However, at the lower tides the seawall is about 15' high to the path and then another 15' from the path to the golf course creating a wind shadow of probably 150-200' from the seawall. The length of the length of the lower launch is aprroximately 275'. So, you can see, that your triangle configuration is bogus
3) Extending the current lower launch by adding sand woulld probably invite more "beach goers" with kids and umbrellas, etc. Then we'll have similar problems to Alameda but confined to a much smaller area aas they have 4 miles of beach.
4) R U a resident of Foster City?
I am one of the original kiters at third and don't recognize your name. Is Tegrxxxxxx a screen name or your real name? Why don't you come down to the lower launch and introduce yourself and we can talk more...not just with me but other regulars there.
Bottom line....strongly suggest you concentrate on the upper launch
steve
I stopped responding since I decided that it was best not to respond to beginner kiter who is new to 3rd AVE who think they know way more than us locals who have been here since 80's and 90's.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

tegirinenashi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tegirinenashi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:17 am

I concede to the "beach goers" argument. I might stop by Thu, or Fri.

If there is a letter to the city already, can you please publish it?

BTW, Fri night Herb holds campaign event at the Plaza. (He together with his campaign volunteers were personally distributed the leaflets, so I had a chance for one minute talk.) If he runs for mayor it wouldn't hurt to make him aware of the issue.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:41 pm

Sonny wrote:...us locals who have been here since 80's and 90's.
Man, you guys must be old! ;-)

P.S. I vote for more sand and a Tiki Bar at the lower launch.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:16 pm

80's and 90's.....hah! Whippersnappers

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:39 pm

shred_da_gorge wrote:
Sonny wrote:...us locals who have been here since 80's and 90's.
Man, you guys must be old! ;-)

P.S. I vote for more sand and a Tiki Bar at the lower launch.
Sadly, very old. Yes we all would vote for more sand but only vote that matters is BCDC.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com