3rd Ave lower and upper coves fill

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
steve
Regular
Regular
Re: 3rd Ave lower and upper coves fill

Post by steve » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:17 pm

did you know that Foster City needs to raise the levee by some 5 1/2 feet over the next 3 years or it will be considered in a flood zone? How do you think raising the level of the upper launch by 1/12' is gonna play against that backdrop?
steve

tegirinenashi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tegirinenashi » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:46 pm

http://www.fostercity.org/publicworks/l ... hedule.pdf

Mid 2018 is construction start. It is 2-5 feet, so it is interesting to know what is the height near golf course.

I'm disappointed to learn that there is an opposition to lower cove fill. "Best flat water spot in Bay Area", seriously?

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:36 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
I'm disappointed to learn that there is an opposition to lower cove fill. "Best flat water spot in Bay Area", seriously?
Yes, seriously. Short of driving to Sherman, often that place provides the best place for progression in the Bay itself. For those people who are in the sport to do more than boost big, conditions do matter.

Filling in upper would provide an expansive area for launching, I personally don't see the need for filling in lower. Hell I don't even kite lower personally, I just know there is a group of high level kiters that use it as their playground and I don't want to see it get taken away.

Additionally the area that you proposed to fill in is covered by the wind shadow from the golf course. This isn't an area I want those uncomfortable with launching to be trying to get started from anyways. The challenges of lower launch are more than just the smaller beach to launch from.

tegirinenashi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tegirinenashi » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:24 am

dontfeedthenerd wrote:Yea.. let's not fill in the lower cove. I mean at least not that much.
How about this?
LowerCoveFill.png
LowerCoveFill.png (1.21MiB)Viewed 7361 times

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:18 pm

NO...for what purpose...so you don't get your feet muddy?
steve

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:00 am

steve wrote:NO...for what purpose...so you don't get your feet muddy?
steve
Agreed.
Surfers pay attention to wind AND tides. I don't see why kiters can't do the same.
Like it's been said above, the lower launch is probably "one" of the best spot to practice unhooked flat water tricks when you can't drive all the way to Sherman at 4pm and seat in traffic for 6 hours. I personally don't go to third at really low tide. Just go to coyote point 5 miles north if you don't want to walk in the mud. If you find coyote's launch tricky then you have no business launching at third's lower launch anyway.
Now, the upper launch is another problem: it is definitely eroding fast and it is considered by many as a transitioning spot/upgrade from Alameda once you are starting to learn to go upwind.
So taking part of the slippery mud walk out of the equation for the new beginner/intermediate kiters could definitely be nice.

Now I doubt the city will dump thousands and thousands of dollars for us kiters so we don't get muddy... Alameda is a whole different ball game: crown beach is ACTUALLY a beach with other beach users and a bunch of houses in the water front.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

tegirinenashi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tegirinenashi » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:57 pm

I have no problem launching from lower cove. My inconvenience is that the beach area is too small. You have to orchestrate unwinding lines not to interfere with person next to you; while this is something everybody accustomed to, I'm not convinced why it has to stay that way forever.

Next, imagine the upper launch gone, and all the regulars moved to your spot. Why not to buy extra insurance with larger launch area? And please keep in mind that that the raising levy project provides a very convenient opportunity to piggyback cove filling.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:09 pm

steve wrote:NO...for what purpose...so you don't get your feet muddy?
steve
+1 or just launch upper and then go down there.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:16 am

tegirinenashi wrote: Next, imagine the upper launch gone, and all the regulars moved to your spot. Why not to buy extra insurance with larger launch area? And please keep in mind that that the raising levy project provides a very convenient opportunity to piggyback cove filling.
Raising the levy doesn't have much do with adding sand, I'm all for adding back the sand that has eroded away at the upper launch. If permission to add sand gets granted, then upper launch would not be gone. Your logic doesn't make much sense.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

tegirinenashi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tegirinenashi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Sonny wrote:Raising the levy doesn't have much do with adding sand...
What material do you think is used? I see sand on both sides of the pavement, so my guess is that besides the rocks the bulk of the levy volume is sand.

Expanding a single project [raising the levy] is less costly than doing two separate projects, making it easier to sell to Foster City officials.