Very Tempting: LF Foil Fish package, now <$1,300

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Very Tempting: LF Foil Fish package, now <$1,300

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:54 am

http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/2015-Liqu ... 158092.htm

At $1,279 it may be time for me to pull the trigger on a foil. Are there any other complete foil packages I should be considering that are under $1,750?

-Andy

jaxonholer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Very Tempting: LF Foil Fish package, now <$1,300

Post by jaxonholer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:10 am

I love my Sroka for 1500 from the boardsports crew. It's definitely faster than a LF, but still slow enough to learn on. Now I'm thinking of upgrading to something faster and a longer mast (maybe the new sroka mast), but still love using it and recommend it as a starting foil.

If you do go lower aspect like these 2 or Lyft, you will be going slower and likely want to upgrade some day, but you will be turning and progressing faster, no doubt. When I foil near anybody on a race foil, which is pretty much anybody at Crissy, they fly by me way fast. But lots of guys can't jibe or go toe side because they're flying so fast! That said, the same guys think I need to switch to a faster foil, so you'll see a full range of opinions...Personally, I don't see the benefit of going that fast, the speed is what took the most to get used to for me, so more speed will take just that more getting used to. AND I'm sure my opinion will change on this. A slower foil is the best starting point, if you ask me.

Prepare for hard falls, get a helmet, prepare to suck again, and then prepare to love it.

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:44 am

I have the LF Foil Fish and I love it. I find that it's easy to learn on, I was riding upwind but not foiling on my first session and foiling (not consistently) on my 2nd session.
Definitely get a helmet and maybe a vest as I almost landed on my foil twice. This foil is definitely slow and a bit heavy compared to the other foils out there.

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:43 pm

Pulled the trigger, woop! Thanks for the advice guys.

Now to get an impact vest ... helmet... :)

pabloarce
Joey
Joey

Post by pabloarce » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:59 pm

sooo.... I JUST received my LF Foil Fish foil (went with a different board as the Foil Fish board was sold out). @Red_Element_Andy: Have you started using your board yet? Any first impressions? Crissy or other spot - trying to decide where would be best for my first sessions... I life in SF and I can see Crissy out my window, so watching people foiling around while I knew I wouldn't be able to kite or windsurf pushed me to buy...

Any thoughts on the best place to learn? Any recommendations dos/don'ts?

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:07 am

Try alameda first
Get and wear a helmet
Check out The slingshot foiling Academy

http://slingshotsports.com/Home?ck=QCHU ... e&gc=clear
And liquid forces foiling tutorials
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi6rLNtDB1g
Have and be safe

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Do not try to learn at crissy without help from the locals.

In the spring is better with many local foilers looking out for you in certain conditions of winds and current.

And stop the madness at Alameda with newbies going out in offshore winds and needing to be rescued.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Hey toNy How did you hear about that i didnt see you there?
And ya don't go out with your big old 18m kite in 1 to 20 avg 9 out of the north nort east

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:17 am

I would definitely recommend Alameda on a high tide.
Like Cdog said (I know you're not gonna like looking like a kook) but please GET a helmet and an impact vest. You'll thank us later for that.
1st time: just go out swimming with the board, you'll learn how far and how sharp the stabilizer is in relation of your foot/body.
2nd time: try to find good conditions (not nuking but not so light it's hard to keep the kite in the air) and rig almost the size of kite you would go out with if you had a surfboard: and just try to ride the board flat in the water. Don't lift yet. Do at least a whole hour like that.
Once you are comfortable with all the above, it's time to lift.
Whatever number of time it takes to get you here: ready to lift? same as before, pick a day when it's not nuking and not too light either (I personally like the 12/15 knots area) and rig a smaller kite than what you would usually use on a surfboard (like 2/3 sizes down). Keep doing what you were doing on the previous sessions but this time, once you're up and running put a bit of pressure on your back foot.

You're going to eat s%&$t a lot. So be prepared.

Keep practicing.

Pro tip: don't use a back foot strap (keep it on the board to help you grab it and put it in good position to water start but don't put your back foot in it, instead put the back foot just in front of the strap) and only SLIGHTLY put your foot in the front strap: your ankles will thank you.
Also, if practicing at Alameda (which again, I highly recommend) I would tell you to rig up in the middle of the beach: You'll realize quickly that once you are up and running, the hardest part is not to go up-wind but the opposite. :)
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:21 pm

hey pablo. Yep, got the board ... works fine, but isn't great as a standalone directional.

I learned at Sherman, at slack tide, which was probably the most favorable conditions i could hope for. After a 2 sessions at Sherman I went back to crissy to continue progressing. With consistent winds, I don't see a huge issue with experienced directional riders continuing their foil progression at crissy ... but I know that TonySoprano will try to talk anybody out of kiting unless they have held a captains license for 25 years, have an EPIRB strapped to their chest. Lo)%

My advice, adding to lots of good advice above:
-Don't do your first foil sessions at Crissy (especially if you aren't already well prepared to ride Crissy)
-Rig a 'normal' size kite for your first session so you can get used to riding it on the surface of the water, and managing the foil without hurting your feet
-By session 2-3 start rigging down by (2m?) --- it can be pretty hard to scrub speed, and being overpowered does *not* help.
-Maybe skip the rear strap. It's awkward and just one more ankle twister. :)

Have fun!