Beach rights

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
CaptChris
Contributor
Contributor
Beach rights

Post by CaptChris » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:48 am

Yesterday while at Crown Beach I observed a fairly experienced kiter act in an absolutely inappropriate manor toward general beach users.

As the kiter returned to the beach after a session, there were 3 people slowly walking down the beach and stopped to watch other kiters on the water and not realizing they were inhibiting the returning kiter from landing his/her kite. The kiter waited about 15 seconds for the group of 3 to move out of the way. When it became apparent to the kiter that the 3 were oblivious that s/he was waiting for them to move, s/he shouted (not yelled) at them by stating "please move further down the beach. this is a designated kite landing area. I can't land with you standing there" (not an exact quote).

Let me point out that we kiters do not have special rights to access any particular area of a beach, no matter if the area is designated for kiters or not! Actually (and legally speaking), any time there are non-kiters using an area of a beach, those non-kiters have more rights to that area than does the kiter! It is the kiters' responsibility to protect the non-kiter. We can ask others to move out of an area we are attempting to use, but if they refuse it is the responsibility of us kiters to move to another position before attempting to launch/land/operate our kite(s), unless there is a danger to the kiter or other persons if we relocate.

Let's not turn this sport into the rude/self-righteous type that others have done in *other* sports.

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: Beach rights

Post by ozchrisb » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:34 pm

MJ0_

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Did this happen in the actual "designated" launch/land area in front of the shack, and were the signs up ?

btw we all need to be reminded
According to the Alameda Guidelines :

! We are supposed to leave a 200 ft (x2 kitelines) buffer zone for beach goers.

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/fo ... .php?t=790

It would be nice if we could follow the guidelines.
It could save our access.
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Image KITERS, WELCOME TO ALAMEDA -

Your help is needed so that everybody can enjoy this area safely! Please be aware that this is a public beach! Kiteboarding in Alameda is a privilege not a right. Please take the time to read and follow the following guidelines. It is strongly recommended that you take a lesson and are informed as to all safety procedures before participating in the sport of kite boarding. If you have any questions ask for additional information. Thank You.
When flying a trainer kite please adhere to these guidelines!
If you arrive early please ask beach-goers to remain out of the kiting zone. When you see spectators standing in the launch zone or entry/exit point, ask them politely to move to a safe location upwind.
Please MAINTAIN A SAFETY ZONE around you of a minimum of 200 ft. (or approximately 2 kite line lengths at all times!) No jumping or doing tricks within 200 ft. of the shore or on the beach!

There is to be no kiting without a kite safety leash.

LAUNCH AREA:

ï The launch zone must remain clear of equipment. It is for launching and landing only!
ï The area down wind of the launch zone is for the kite school and is to remain clear of all non kite-school equipment.
ï Please do not kite directly in front of the launching/landing zone or the kite school.

LAUNCHING:

ï Self launching is discouraged, please ask for assistance.
ï Launch only in the designated kite area as this will greatly reduce our impact on the public beach.
ï Before launching double check that your lines are set up correctly and that your equipment is in working order.
ï Before launching make sure launching/landing zone is clear of kites, beachgoers, and windsurfers.
ï After launching, move immediately into the water.

LANDING YOUR KITE:

ï Be sure that no one is launching as you come in.
ï Obtain assistance for landing your kite.
ï Roll-up your lines immediately after landing and move your kite out of the launching/landing zone
RIGHT OF WAY:
ï Starboard Tack has right of way (RIGHT HAND FORWARD)
ï When on the same tack, downwind sailor has right of way. Right of way does not mean you can veer up or down wind. While passing, MAINTAIN YOUR COURSE!!
ï Kites being launched have right of way.
ï While passing another kiter who is down wind of you, fly your kite high; if you are the down wind kiter, fly your kite low.
ï KEEP CLEAR OF ALL BEACH GOERS, SWIMMERS, AND WADERS. THEY ALWAYS HAVE RIGHT OF WAY.
ï Jumpers revoke their right of way.

WALKING KITES UPWIND:

ï For the safety of beach goers, it is strongly recommended that you do not walk up the beach with your kite in the air.

BEACH ETIQUETTE:

ï Please leave your kite lines rolled up until ready for use.
ï Please keep unused kites stacked up and clear of the launching zone.
ï Be helpful to others and take responsibility for public safety.
ï Stay a Minimum of 200 ft. from shore while kiting. Keep at least 2 kite line lengths between yourself, swimmers, waders, and beach goers.
Please be considerate and mindful of those using this public beach. Help to maintain a great place to enjoy this sport in the future!

Many Thanks!!!
ALAMEDA KITEBOARDERS

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Agreed beachgoers have the "right of way" and not the other way around - but also nothing wrong with politely asking someone if they wouldn't mind moving a bit especially if they're obviously curious about the kitesurfing and watching.

Chances are they want to talk to you anyway - they just don't know where it's safe to stand because they don't know how it all works. If people thought a little more like ambassadors and less like mayors we'd all be better off (even beyond just kiting)

As for losing spot access it's critical that it doesn't happen for the kiters as much as for the county - banning kiting is all fun and games until someone who's swimming or boating gets hurt and the city is left wishing they had never gotten rid of the on water emergency support that used to be out there ... D'oh!

e.g. http://www.cruisingworld.com/kite-surfe ... -francisco

Keep each other safe, have fun and be polite my fellow ambassadors XZSD

CaptChris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CaptChris » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:31 am

dz wrote:Did this happen in the actual "designated" launch/land area in front of the shack, and were the signs up ?
It did occur in the "designated" launch/land area. There was 1 of the signs out, nearest the shack. While I do enjoy kiting at Alameda, I don't have too many sessions there because MB is closer to my home, usually better wind conditions, and I don't have traffic to deal with. With that said, I don't recall the last time I personally have seen both signs out.
However, regardless of whether the signs are out or not... it is a public beach, paid for by the public, and ultimately the signs don't actually mean anything to the general public nor are they obligated to give way to kiting activities. It is THEIR beach, not the kiters' beach.
Aloha wrote:Agreed beachgoers have the "right of way" and not the other way around - but also nothing wrong with politely asking someone if they wouldn't mind moving a bit especially if they're obviously curious about the kitesurfing and watching.

Chances are they want to talk to you anyway - they just don't know where it's safe to stand because they don't know how it all works. If people thought a little more like ambassadors and less like mayors we'd all be better off (even beyond just kiting)
Bravo!
I had no idea this occurred. Brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing!

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:17 am

I think you're nitpicking a bit. The kiter could have said it a little bit differently, but he was just trying to communicate that he was trying to land his kite and they were in the way. If he had screamed at them or insulted them, that would be something to be concerned with. Should he have said something like "Hello fellow beach goers, if you would be so kind as to move a few yards down the beach so I can land this kite, I would be forever grateful, I humbly apologize for the inconvenience"?

CaptChris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CaptChris » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:31 am

Thor29 wrote:I think you're nitpicking a bit. The kiter could have said it a little bit differently, but he was just trying to communicate that he was trying to land his kite and they were in the way.
You seem to have missed the point. Although that could be my fault since I failed to mention that there was plenty of space on the beach for the kiter to take (at least) 10 steps upwind or 10 steps downwind where there were no other people and perfectly safe to land a kite.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:50 am

CdoG wrote: No jumping or doing tricks within 200 ft. of the shore!
Sadly, a lot of the "regulars" from Alameda do not follow that rule...
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:42 pm

Ya I know.. and drag out
And keep L.Z. clear of parked kites
and a hole bunch of other good etiquette to keep the beach access open and the public safe