Best big kite size for East Bay for max water time?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
JimmyJack
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Best big kite size for East Bay for max water time?

Post by JimmyJack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:39 pm

18M Switch Helium
Priced Right

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:44 pm

I really enjoyed flying the LF Solo kite last year at the Pismo Expo. It's got all the benefits of the strutless (lightweight, packable, simple) with added bonus of a strut for stability and re-launch.

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:14 pm

I understand your perspective with time constraints, and not wanting to learn something new. The sooner u ditch the twin tip the sooner you will be able to progress into kiting other challenging locations, and really hone in on the sailing aspect of the sport, which in light wind, is really the most overlooked skill when it comes to proficient lightwind kiting. In reality, lightwind kiting IS another skill; something that will take practice and include frustration. i learned to ride a strapless surfboard on a year where i worked 2600 hours. Im far from a "natural" athlete that picks everything up fast either. Kites play a role , sure, but board volume, and how big of a kite u want to swim with are equally important. Im saying this because ive been there. Untill i got on surfboards (and skimboards too!) i thought that the same way. Truth is, when you want to kite that threshold of wether u can keep the kite in the air or not, it takes a lot of kite handling skills to be able to ride, and avoid dropping kite without having enough wind to relaunch. Crazy imputs of hauling in a meter of steering to initiate a downloop, or hauling in centerlines to recover backstalls. By getting on a board with volume this will allow you to get out there and really work on those light wind skills. Number one thing i lean on iin light wind isnt something i can buy, its the experience of working a kite in light conditions. But if u must stay on a twin tip, you should be in good shape for long frustrating swims. The frustrations of the long swims with huge kite and a board without flotation are muuuuuuuch greater than the frustrations of learning to ride a surfboard. Sorry man, i know its not the answers u want to hear. With a little effort in learning to ride a surfboard, the returns will be well worth it, especially for someone with those time constraints. Line extensions and large bars are other valuble items. And if ur persuaded to jump on a surfboard, do urself a favor and learn it early in the season when theres plenty of wind in the spring, not when its middle of summer and u really wish u did.

JimmyJack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimmyJack » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:33 am

By the way, get the surfboard. I have the Celeritas and kind of did what you are talking about where I just wanted to get out and enjoy, especially in winter when days come and go, but now after riding the Celeritas in Baja for 3 days in jan, it is all I ever ride and is so much fun now that I have also become more comfortable jumping with it. I am not sure I will ever go back to my TT. In fact, all I want now is a better high wind surfboard (ideas welcome) I am 6' 2" 215. I agree with other posters on learning to fly the kite but the struggle is always that it is easier to do so on the TT as you dont have to worry about baord control. But in any case, I use my 15 and 18 in the east bay and am also a vicitm to the requirement of TP, Berkeley, RT and MB. Mostly TP.