Bay Area Swap Meet?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Bay Area Swap Meet?

Post by OliverG » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:39 am

The season will be coming up soon and I'm sure many of us have good used gear to pass on and many will be interested in picking up some of that gear as they add to their quivers or get into the sport.

Should we try to organize a swap meet ourselves rather than wait to see if any of the local shops will or will not organize one?

What thinks you all?

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:52 am

I say we do it at the Crown, Alameda. It would also be a good way to promote the web site. Not so damn early this time though. Like 10 am works for me. Alameda is perfect because they have grass where you can lay out your gear and people can ask about lessons. Also there are always tons of people driving by that will come over and see whats up.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:07 pm

Sounds good to me. The best one I have been to is at Chrissy. Lots of gear. I need to get rid of a couple of kites.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:57 pm

We will probably shoot for one in the East Bay and leave the Crissy one to Boardsports to organize, especially if their sole location will be in the city. I would think early March would be good, possibly earlier, but I'd like to hear everyone else's input.... :?:

Kiteboardstud25
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kiteboardstud25 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:14 pm

A swap meet sounds like an awesome idea. People are always looking to get some gear sold and also to find good deals. I know a number of people who want to get into the sport and are asking if there ever are any swap meets. March sounds like a good time becasue hopefully the wind will be going off by then!

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:21 am

I love swaps to socialize and bench-race. Bend-over if you're a seller though. Jeff at KiteWindSurf does a spring swap, no? I haven't kited in so long I may need some rigging tips from you guys by then.
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:27 am

D, You must have been getting a lot of work done lately!
No, Jeff isn't really into gettnig a swap meet going. He doesn't have the space at the shop and he can't have it under his organization at the park on account of the Boardsports concession. EBRPD doesn't let him get away with much, so I'm not. I tried to talk into getting one going last year and he wasn't too enthused about it.

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:26 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:D, You must have been getting a lot of work done lately!
No, Jeff isn't really into gettnig a swap meet going. He doesn't have the space at the shop and he can't have it under his organization at the park on account of the Boardsports concession. EBRPD doesn't let him get away with much, so it's not likely that he'll do one. I tried to talk into getting one going last year and he wasn't too enthused about it.
We can just have a swap meet. I don't think you need a permit for that. Boardsports cvan't really say anything, can they?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:42 pm

We'll know when we do it, but I wouldn't think it's a problem...

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:49 pm

Just beware!!! Boardsports is very picky with anything that happens on that public beach. Last year I was told you couldn't even teach your friends at Alameda. I think they pissed on the whole beach and now it's theirs. Ask Jeff what happens if you get cought.
Dewey