Want to buy Board Leash

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
FoolFully
Contributor
Contributor
Want to buy Board Leash

Post by FoolFully » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:52 am

I know its bad to use a leash but I'm just learning and I want one. I think if Im not doing tricks then it'll be safe and then just disconnect it later on. Does any one have a leash they do not use and want to sell?

FoolFully
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Want to buy Board Leash

Post by FoolFully » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:58 am

I see all the leashes online do not come with the longer screw needed to sucure the leash. What screw do I get because I don't think the local hardware store has the same type?

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:14 am

West Marine stores have a huge selection of stainless steel bolts and nuts. Personally never bothered with a leash so have no advice to offer.

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 am

if UR gonna buy a board leash, make sure you buy a good helmet before you use the leash
steve

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 am

GoJoes are cheaper, safer, and can't rip off your board.

Board leashes are NOT fool proof. I've had several rip off from the fin completely.

And yes HELMET HELMET HELMET

Any hardware store will carry the screw you need.

mcfly777
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mcfly777 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:52 am

If you're going for a leash, get the Oceanus REEL.

leo

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 am

I really recommend not using a board leash. They are extremely dangerous. This page gives you some reasons why:
http://www.kiteboardleash.com/index.php ... stimonials

Basically, as a beginner, your kite control skills are not good yet. If your kite skills are not good, that is when you can end up being dragged hard by the kite. That is when nasty board accidents happen, because the leash slingshots the board right back at your body.

There are a couple of alternatives to a board leash. First is to use a GoJoe. They make the wind push the board back downwind to you. Second is to learn how to bodydrag upwind well. This is easy to learn. Once you can do that, you don't need a board leash or a GoJoe.

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:24 am

Also, I have a leash that I bought as a beginner. I'm not sure I used it even once. I certainly never got hurt and I regret ever having bought it. A kiter who ended up becoming a close friend advised me on the dangers of them. That was more than enough to make common sense kick in and to take it off the harness.

Another reason to not use them is that you will be clipping the leash in while you are on land. As I mentioned, your kite control as a beginner is not good. I have watched new kiters clipping their leashes in on land. The number of times I have seen their kites start to turn back down towards the ground is pretty high. This happens because their attention has been taken away from the kite. When the kite starts to fall like that, you are not far away from being dragged. Being dragged on the land is where a lot of beginner kiter injuries happen. Combine that with being clipped to your board... not a pleasant thought.

Boards are replaceable, heads are not. I will never sell my leash to anyone. They add way too much danger to the sport.

PvB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PvB » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 am

cleepa wrote: Boards are replaceable, heads are not. I will never sell my leash to anyone. They add way too much danger to the sport.
Agreed! Spend 10 seconds on http://www.kiteboardleash.com/ and you might not want to kite again let alone use a board leash as a beginner.

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 am

The beauty of the GoJoe is NOT that the wind pushes the board back to you. That's a nice bonus. The real awesomeness, and the reason I didn't take mine off for a long time is that it makes it easy to SEE your board. It's really hard to body drag back to your board when you can't even see it. Doing a search pattern means you aren't heading directly for your board and it is still possible that you will never see it. You still have to be able to body drag upwind to get your board if you use a GoJoe, but at least you know where it is and that mini-sail effect helps decrease the distance. The GoJoe saves huge time and energy when you are learning and I highly recommend it. It's kind of pricey for what it is, but it's a lot cheaper than a leash and a helmet.