Want to buy Board Leash

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
friggin old guy
Regular
Regular
Re: Want to buy Board Leash

Post by friggin old guy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:16 am

Although there are actually some magnetic devices out there that work as shark deterrents, in general sharks can be extremely curious about magnets due to their electroreception capabilities....I wouldn't wear one in the ocean. Sharky exploratory licks bad.

Leashes bad too. Figuring out how to body drag effectively/depower kite when eating it as basic skills.....good.

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:38 am

Ok, i was at this point few months back, and here's my experience:
- body dragging in light wind (aka Alameda SUCKs royal)

- GoJoe, cool toy, ugly as crap, wind pushing it ... questionable. I sold mine after 2 weeks.

- Oceanus EEL, ok, i ended up with this BUT, did NOT mount the leash to the fin as they recommend, I can see how that Pings the board to you easily. Instead I mounted it to my board handle. Tadaaa... never had the board ping and i do some jumping and aerial transitions, but as i learned to do so, man, countless times separated from my board.

- Yes i do wear a helmet.

- Body dragging in normal wind is a breeze to make it back to your board. Takes me no more than 2 tacks.

- when you fall or about to, LET GO of the damn bar. It WILL minimize the distance from your bard to several yards only.

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:10 am

FoolFully wrote:isn't there a snap away connection you could use that is so sensitive that it would hold your board next to you and come apart everytime you fell - what about some really strong magnets? Perhaps you could just easily disconnect the leash when you dont need the board floating behind you. What about a leash that only lets line out and has lots of line so it couldn't snap back but you have to reel it in to reset the leash?
dude, just keep it simple. the less junk you have out there with you the better. all you need is a helmet, a knife, and solid bodydragging skills. spend the time you would use creating all these gadgets on bodydragging practice and you'll be much better off. go out a few times with a pair of goggles and no board; drag until you have it down. this is time better spent.

leashes are dangerous, lose line in water is dangerous, not knowing how to maneuver in water with a kite and no board is dangerous. solve your core problem instead of adding to it.
biba wrote:- Oceanus EEL, ok, i ended up with this BUT, did NOT mount the leash to the fin as they recommend, I can see how that Pings the board to you easily. Instead I mounted it to my board handle. Tadaaa... never had the board ping and i do some jumping and aerial transitions, but as i learned to do so, man, countless times separated from my board.
imho: this is worse: putting the anchor point in the middle of the board will make it act more like a sea anchor because 50% of it will dig into the water under resistance, building tension that could slingshot toward your face.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:53 am

Attaching the leash on the handle is pretty pointless in my experience.

I hastily went out one afternoon on a borrowed board, and for the sake of 'insurance' I grabbed a board leash (and helmet) and secured the leash to the handle of my board.

After a nasty wipeout, my handle bar had ripped off from the board, leaving the screw still in the board, and the screw holes in the handle bar were stripped.

So yeah, I recommend not attaching it there.