What is an ideal kite size for the light wind in Alameda?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
reyrivera
Old School
Old School
Re: What is an ideal kite site for the light wind in Alameda

Post by reyrivera » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:21 pm

If you can afford it, try and get a fully assisted downwinder session at Sherman. With the consistent winds there, you will probably start riding consistently in no time at all. But, you might just end up wasting your money because the season is starting to wind down. You and your instructor can then assess whether or not you can keep kiting at Sherman on your own or ride 3rd avenue again on your own.

August through February I consider an intermediate to advance season here in the Bay Area.

I think you just got nervous and lost your confidence when you went to 3rd because of the rocks and lack of beach.

If you are on a budget and willing to wait it out, then prepare to ride for next season. Make your work arrangements so that March, April, May is open and you can go kite anytime. These are the perfect months to learn in Alameda.

You have to commit and go the beach and ride when its windy. For your weight, invest on a 9 and 12 meter kite and a 138 cm board. That should be enough to get you riding almost all days in Alameda during those months. If you ride consistently, your options will open, you will have enough self confidence to start riding 3rd avenue. You can pay as many lessons as you want, but if you don't practice, you are just wasting your personal resources.

Avoid buying small or big kites until you are proficiently going upwind. Chances are, you will regret buying that 7 meter or 14 meter by the time you are riding because you did not like the flying characteristics of the kite.

Alameda is rideable in August but sessions there are few and far between. You will spend a lot of time parked on the beach. If you want to avoid boredom, get a 3 meter trainer kite and a carve board or a long board that you can use to ride in the parking lot. If you really get skunked, build a paddle for your board so you can do land paddle boarding.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re: What is an ideal kite size for the light wind in Alameda

Post by Aloha » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Based on your post I agree with Rey it sounds like you're 1 paid downwinder in a place that has enough wind to be up and riding.

Once that happens I think you'll be fine for 3rd on a windy day. I remember all it took was for me to have 1 long confident consistent reach at Alameda before I took on 3rd - and then the 1st session at 3rd with filled in wind I was making ground upwind (a great feeling)

Good luck!

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:17 am

+1 to the above. Also realize learning in light wind is HARD. Proper wind makes it faster. Don't get scared of the rocks at 3rd. Stay off high tide... go to upper launch, careful with the slippery mud and you're off.

Low tide @3rd is awesome because you can truly touch the bottom 200 ft out at your 6ft height :). That makes the board recovery easier when you get tired of body dragging :P
Low tide at lower launch is a no no... mud walk is nasty plus you have to powerwash your kite lol.

You will progress in 1 weekend at 3rd a LOT though season is coming to and end, wind will be iffy more and more as we are rushing towards Sept.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:47 am

BTW, it was decent at Alameda last night, the wind looked like s*@* on the beach, but I managed to clock in my longest session ever. It might do the same again today.

The days are numbered here but like others have said, the wind hasn't totally left us yet. Keep your eyes on the forecast, read the patterns. If you see any high clouds you can go ahead and bet there's no wind at Alameda.

But its just too plain risky to waste a day thinking a site's gonna light up, but doesn't. I again vote assisted downwinder/etc at a site with wind.

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:50 am

learning in safe although somewhat marginal conditions has an advantage, building skills you will definitely need at some point. knowing how to board/body drag and relaunch a kite in light wind will come in very handy. a properly executed self rescue and/or landing will avoid possible ruined or lost gear and injuries to yourself.

a few boat rides upwind is when i got my breakthrough. it gave the chance to get several attempts at getting up instead of spending half of the session walking back to the launch where i had a mass of lines to untangle.

there was a guy up at sherman named nat that was doing it very affordably a couple years ago.
not sure if he's still around.