Beach-goers at Sherman Island

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
le noun
Old School
Old School
Re: Beach-goers at Sherman Island

Post by le noun » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 pm

I think everybody pretty much summed it all: beach goers were there waaaaay before us.
If you're not happy with it, go to little Baja. I agree with slougshut, this sense of entitlement from some kiters is exasperating to say the least.
Beachgoers HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO STAND IN RELATION OF A KITE, so it's your job as a kiter to not endanger people near you.
When I take off at coyote and I see a group of curious people standing just downwind of the stairs to the water waiting for me to launch, I nicely go talk to them and explain them it's better to be upwind of where I'm gonna pass and I explain why.
As far as Sherman goes, like others said, if there is no room to water start, then body drag on your port tack until you're clear. Like Ramsey said, if you're freaking out about keeping your kite in the sky at one of the spot with the most consistent wind in the bay, maybe you have no business being there in the first place...

As far as people doing tricks close to shore, it's just a kitemare waiting to happen. Hopefully Darwinism will take care of them... Without injuring anybody else.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

denniskempin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by denniskempin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:11 am

Sorry guys, yes I have been pissed when I got in from my downwinder. I know it's not justified, it was just a gut reaction. It's not about that.

Maybe I have a different sense of danger than most of you guys, but no matter how experienced you are, walking a kite is inherently dangerous and accidents happen, which is why I have learned to always, ALWAYS keep a safety distance to bystanders. Unfortunately with the small beach crowded as it gets, this does not seem possible.

I'll probably go in at little Baja next time I encounter this.

However all this does not change the numerous dangerous situations I have seen last weekend. And that worries me, because to me it looks like it's just a matter of time until a bystander gets hurt. No one wants that.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:33 am

denniskempin wrote:Sorry guys, yes I have been pissed when I got in from my downwinder. I know it's not justified, it was just a gut reaction. It's not about that.

Maybe I have a different sense of danger than most of you guys, but no matter how experienced you are, walking a kite is inherently dangerous and accidents happen, which is why I have learned to always, ALWAYS keep a safety distance to bystanders. Unfortunately with the small beach crowded as it gets, this does not seem possible.

I'll probably go in at little Baja next time I encounter this.

However all this does not change the numerous dangerous situations I have seen last weekend. And that worries me, because to me it looks like it's just a matter of time until a bystander gets hurt. No one wants that.
It is worrisome and we do get your frustration.
But I don't think much can be done about it.
If we were to make a new launch point/beach between the tullies somewhere between the cove and the boat launch, beachgoers and fisherman would probably end up using it as well.
At this point, the only option I can think off would be to make a "swimming area" between where we launch and the windsurfing beach. Kiters and windsurfers would have NO BUSINESS riding or even flying their kite above it. And swimmers would have no businesses swimming out of it. The problem is, like we said before, they were there way before us, so why would they accept a limited access to the beach so we can ride?

I'm lucky enough that my schedule lets me ride on weekdays, even when I have the opportunity to ride on weekends, I usually don't. I can't stand the crowd and the silly behavior of some.

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Beachgoers and bystanders are fine unless they try to approach and do something to kiters flying kites as it happen to me when drunk guy came in my way from the launch to beach with kite up in the air and tried to grab my leash yelling that my chicken loop is off (I'm using dynabar with sliding hook).
As being said just body drag out and if necessary in as well.

But what really pissed me off is young guys throwing jumps in the cove, I had to do a lot of tacks a week ago just get enough time to get back to the beach and once I finally yielded to the one going upwind and approached the beach, he made jumping transition upwind of me without checking surroundings and almost tangling my lines, I had to quickly turn kite over the beach to avoid it.
But that is not all, when I packed and came with my family to the beach to relax before heading out, this guys decided to swap kite from one rider to another in the most left (west/upwind) part of the cove and crashed kite over me, my wife, daughter and stroller. I've seen kite shadow moving over us and caught kite before it slammed the ground JQI*
On my comments that they are putting everyone in danger they replied that they know what they are doing and walked away !$*(
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

Arto
Joey
Joey

Post by Arto » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi all,
I think there is a solution for an easier launch.
If we build a path (clear the bushes) to the left/upper corner of the entry beach ( left hand side when you face the beach)we'll be entering the water at least 30 -40 feet upwind from the people in the water. This could be especially helpful for the racers during high tide. We can also post signs "Keep the path clear".
What do you think?
Artur

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:38 pm

I think your going to make a new beach for more beach goers......

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:55 pm

CdoG wrote:I think your going to make a new beach for more beach goers......
+1

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:56 pm

if you build it they will come, Now the racers need there own beach? !$*(
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Sherman Landing.jpg
Sherman Landing.jpg (283.44KiB)Viewed 3109 times
There's a better place to land about 40-50 feet upwind on the cove that avoids the beachgoers because the beach is too small there for them. It's currently the least clogged with logs, and you can either go the same trail back or an alternative one (blue line).

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cliftoncutshall » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 am

Kite weekdays KK((
This afternoon looks great!