Do You Scavenge Old Kites for Parts?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
nick_80044
Regular
Regular
Do You Scavenge Old Kites for Parts?

Post by nick_80044 » Wed May 28, 2014 8:40 pm

My RRD Obsession 12m blew its leading edge last season, but otherwise was in decent shape. I have a new 10.5m Obsession. I was about to throw the old 12m out but then I had the thought that maybe I should salvage things like the bridal and pigtails in case I ever need them for the 10.5m. Do you think it's worth it? Do you ever do this--if so, which parts do you save? Or do you just count on getting a whole new kite by the time things start wearing out? Would the 12m kite stuff work on my 10.5m?

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Re: Do You Scavenge Old Kites for Parts?

Post by reyrivera » Wed May 28, 2014 9:28 pm

If the kite is still fixable and safe to use, why not get it fixed and sell it to the right person.

Me, I tore apart unuseable kites and turn them to useable tarps and bags, just being environmentally conscious.

You can use some of the bladders for patching your other kites, or save some of the canopy to repair your other newer kites

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed May 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Assuming it can't be repaired you should be able to use the (oversized) strut bladders as spares for the 10.5.

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 pm

The bladder exploded and ripped apart the leading edge. The cost of repair was almost what I paid for the kite--it was used and already had been through a couple of seasons so even though it was still in decent shape I didn't think it was worth it.

I like the idea of saving at least part of the canopy for something. Don't know if I have the skills to turn it into a bag, though. :-) Aren't the struts different sizes? At what size difference would they be considered not compatible (e.g., 12m vs 9m)?

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Thu May 29, 2014 1:33 am

bladders and struts are typically wider and longer than the dacron leading edge and the strut dacron. so you can use the struts as spares. As long as the bladder is longer and wider than the strut, you can use it as a replacement

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Worth keeping the blown leading edge bladder for use as patch material in future repairs.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Sat May 31, 2014 2:53 pm

I know that the bladders cannot be recycled as they are made of the same material as styrofoam, not sure about polyester nylon.

Anyway, just to give you an idea, wingtips turned into a simple sandbag. Delays the material's inevitable trip to the landfill.
sandbag.png
sandbag.png (949.12KiB)Viewed 3123 times

I'm thinking about building board bags out of old kite material, and then sell them for a modest fee to fuel my kiting addiction. Would people be interested in that kind of thing?

Erik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Erik » Sat May 31, 2014 3:46 pm

You can donate your sail to these guys, and they will turn it into awesome bags.

http://www.mafiabags.com/

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:33 am

there are several people that make bags and other items out of old donated kites. kaito.ca in canada is one. there was one in maui but not sure she's still doing it. caution kites santa cruz used to accept trade-ins toward purchase of new kites. not sure if they still do.

bridles, pigtails, valves, bladders,etc. are re-usable or at least good to have in a pinch if something breaks and you can't get to a store or wait for mail/online order.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:08 am

Just a couple of examples of awnings I made for quick setup. I use them as shelter during backpack hiking, camping, or when me and my wife go surfing and park the car on the beach.
awning1.png
awning1.png (735.08KiB)Viewed 3017 times
awning2.png
awning2.png (735.98KiB)Viewed 3017 times