Visiting from Seattle for the weekend. Worth bringing gear?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
scm007
Joey
Joey
Visiting from Seattle for the weekend. Worth bringing gear?

Post by scm007 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Hey all, I'm coming in from Seattle tomorrow and I'm wondering if it is worth bringing gear, if so what size kites to bring, and where to go. I'm hoping to stay relatively local to San Fran as I will be staying in the city.

Lastly my brother is coming down as well and he's a relatively new kiter so I'm looking into something that isn't advanced only. Sherman Island looks sweet if the wind is going to cooperate.

Saturday looks good to me but I don't know how to forecast the bay area. Any help would be appreciated! Thoughts?

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Visiting from Seattle for the weekend. Worth bringing ge

Post by biba » Thu May 08, 2014 7:30 pm

apparently Sunday it will be a great 17-20kts day @ 3rd ave. bring your 12 :)

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Don't know where biba is getting the info from, but Ikite predicts that 3rd Ave will be okay on Saturday but iffy on Sunday. Sherman Island probably won't happen. If your brother can go upwind, 3rd Ave is your best choice. Alameda (Crowne Beach) is the most beginner friendly spot but the wind there will be weaker and might not even happen on Saturday. I'd bring a kite for 15-25mph wind range.

scm007
Joey
Joey

Post by scm007 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 pm

You guys think Crissy will go? He might just sit this one out logistically might be hard to get both our stuff down there.

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:46 am

Crissy is supposed to be good for Saturday, but keep in mind that Crissy is a very tricky place to kiteboard. You generally want an ebb tide and the tide will be slack to flood in the afternoon. Wherever you end up going, be sure and talk to the local kiters before heading out.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Fri May 09, 2014 8:50 am

Do NOT let your brother kite at Crissy !

Also the kite foil national races will be going at Crissy this Fri-Sun and will be a zoo.

I suggest anyplace other than Crissy Field, but if you do go there, make sure you read the Crissy Field Safety kiting guide. Also spend a lot of time watching and asking questions of the local riders. There are only a handful of dream sessions there each year. The rest of the time is very challenging resulting in major Coast guard involvement with helicopters and Fire department.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/211648148/Enj ... afely-2013

http://www.scribd.com/doc/138553396/MSI ... yak-SafetyTony Soprano