Cabrinha bar on naish kites?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sfkbok
Joey
Joey
Cabrinha bar on naish kites?

Post by sfkbok » Tue May 06, 2014 10:40 pm

I've tried searching around but couldn't find a definite answer. I'm looking to buy a 6-7m used kite and hoping I could use my 9m cabrinha bar on it.

Found some Naish kites and I'm not sure if they'll work with my bar. Is there a guide somewhere to figure this out, or does anyone know off-hand?

sfkbok
Joey
Joey

Re: Cabrinha bar on naish kites?

Post by sfkbok » Tue May 06, 2014 10:42 pm

Same goes for an RRD Obsession actually.

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Wed May 07, 2014 7:37 am

I'm not sure if they'll work with my bar.
Here's my understanding: Almost all kite today require a bar with equal length lines. There are a couple different connection schemes:
- kook proof 1 - knots on the outside, loops on inside (on kite) Cab, Airush and many others.
- kook proof 2 - inverse of above
- knots on all four lines.
You can buy/make adapters to invert connections.

The bigger problem is the safety systems:
- flag to one outside line (old school should work with any kite??)
- flag to one inside line (should work with any kite??)
- flag to two inside lines (does not work with all kites)

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:42 am

Hopefully somebody who knows more than I do will chime in, but I think the IDS safety system on Cabrinhas makes them incompatible with Naish kites. When I had my 2008 Converts, Cabrinha told me that newer Cabrinha IDS bars would not work with older kites that used the 2N1 bar. So I would be really hesitant to use their bar on any other kites unless somebody had already verified that combination.

Erik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Erik » Wed May 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Carefull you don't mix up 5 line vs 4 line.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Wed May 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Thor29 wrote:Hopefully somebody who knows more than I do will chime in, but I think the IDS safety system on Cabrinhas makes them incompatible with Naish kites. When I had my 2008 Converts, Cabrinha told me that newer Cabrinha IDS bars would not work with older kites that used the 2N1 bar. So I would be really hesitant to use their bar on any other kites unless somebody had already verified that combination.
This is true but very different from what JR explained above.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Wed May 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Also depends on what Cabrinha Bar.
- IDS Bar 2012-2013 has single line flagging and high V.
- IDS Bar 2014 bar has single line flagging and low V.

I would not mess with bridle geometry so if the kite was built for low V, use a low V bar and vis versa, and same with single front line flagging vs dual front line flagging...

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 am

dwaynej...your comments r a bit off

2009-2013 Cabrinha IDS bars are two front line flagging system...yes , when you activate the QR the kite is flying off the single IDS line, but itt is attached tto both font lines which slide towards the center of the kite...two front font line flagging system. Half the safety system is on the bar; IDS line, and half the safety sytem is on the kite; the two fron t lines move towrds the center of the LE via the stainless front line slides

2014 has no IDS line. The line that is attached to the bar is attached to one of the front lines. When you activate your QR the kite is flying off one of the front lines...one front line flagging system.

Regarding high V versus loow V. The 2014 Cabrinha bar with low V is compatible with all previous Cabrinha kites. the 2009-2013 IDS kites that required an IDS bar with high V. The low V will provide a more direct and responsive feel on the IDS kites.

steve

fromanoc
Joey
Joey

Post by fromanoc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:52 pm

I have cabrinha kites and ended up buying 3 naish parks and used them with my 2014 cabrinha bar.
The 7m park is a 2013 model which has pulleys in the front lines and it works great with the cabrinha bar. The 10 and 12m parks are 2014 and have a static bridle with no pulley and for some reason the kites don't perform at their best. All 4 lines where equal etc, and also the cabrinha and naish bar have the Y in the center lines around the same height. I couldn't understand why it doesn't like the cabrinha bar. I added pigtails to the line ends to adapt the ends but they were all equal length.

My friend who used to have a 2011 naish park tried my 10m and told me the kite was flying poorly, don't know why.

Don't feel like buying a naish bar just to try so I'm selling the 2014 parks.