Alameda Yesterday

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Alameda Yesterday

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon May 05, 2014 4:12 pm

If you see folks you don't recognize, introduce yourself, etc. Its the start of a new season so we have the opportunity to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen again.

I had a near kitemare myself last week when we had that first spurt of wind. I had complete right of way and even after maneuvering my kite out of the dudes way, he still crossed lines with me. I ejected seeing no other way out of this, my kite got free and he was able to sail way with no issue. I didn't recognize the kite or the kiter. But I did notice the lack of apology from the dude.

jalassim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jalassim » Mon May 05, 2014 5:39 pm

ozreiuosn wrote:If you see folks you don't recognize, introduce yourself, etc. Its the start of a new season so we have the opportunity to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen again.

I had a near kitemare myself last week when we had that first spurt of wind. I had complete right of way and even after maneuvering my kite out of the dudes way, he still crossed lines with me. I ejected seeing no other way out of this, my kite got free and he was able to sail way with no issue. I didn't recognize the kite or the kiter. But I did notice the lack of apology from the dude.
Hi,
I don't know if you are talking about me but I also got tangled with a guy last week.
It seems that he was beginner too. I had no option but to eject my kite. I checked for the other dude and apology (But being busy handling my kite, I maybe did not insisted on the apology part)... He was fine and already on his way to leave, so I did the same.

If this guy was you I sincerely apology, I did not meant to be rude and I did not do that on purpose (obviously).

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon May 05, 2014 6:59 pm

PvB wrote:To comment a little further on the "blood gurgling" incident... If someone has a serious crash on land, do not move them and do not let them move themselves. She was lying on her stomach, virtually non-responsive. When she was responsive, she could only ask to be rolled over to get pressure off her shoulder. She could not role over herself. Someone finally rolled her over (not very carefully either), in acquiescence to her pleas. Ill confess that I and others should not have let this happen. This was not the right move in my book (regardless of how much the shoulder hurt). I have personally seen someone with 4 broken vertebrae stand up, and nearly paralyze themselves. People with serious injuries generally dont know what is good for them or how hurt they are. If you can wait for the paramedics... wait.

I was standing about 15 feet away when this happened. From my point of view, it looked like the girl was a bit over powered, panicked a little, unwittingly sheeted in due to panic, started getting pulled down the beach (fortunately toward the water), kept the bar sheeted in, tripped over the little sand cliff, let go of one side of the bar, kite turned back across the window and smashed on the beach. When the kite swung back across, it yanked her face first into the sand, lots of sand in the mouth...

It could have been an equipment issue, but from where I was standing it looked more like an inexperience issue. She had 3 or 4 seconds where she could have punched out or at least let go of the bar. Hard to tell though. I hope she is alright.

I watched the girl get yarded on the beach. not sure what happened prior but i clearly saw her go about 20' vertical about 6' off the ground to body/face first. 2 guys ran and jumped on the kite but did NOT think to go see if she was ok????? So I kited in very powered up and asked if she was ok. She responded and seemed coherent but after watching her not move for 10 seconds I got very worried. I asked one of the 2 guys there to get on the horm and call an ambulance. I told the girl she was probably ok but just wanted to make sure she didnt move and to play it safe. What really pissed me off was that a bunch of inexperienced people were arguing and yelling next to the victim. As she was face down I was trying to gesture the others to not yell around her. The guy who called 911 was then told he didnt have to call any more because she said she was ok. it took a lot of begging on my part to CALL and not think twice about it! Here's where I felt extremely helpless. As I had a lot of power in my kite and was only able to use 1 hand I was not able to fight off the 2 guys from trying to move her. The woman said it was her right shoulder, so clearly the wrong move was to roll her over on her right shoulder!!! Christ! I was trying my best to not make this poor woman feel like she was being handled by the Marx Brothers but I had to yell at these guys to not move her at all. They just did it and I didnt wantt o fight them with one hand as it would have made things worse. The woman was asking to be flipped as she had a mouth full of blood and sand and her shoulder was bothering her. The ambulance finally arrived and took an amazingly long time to get her on a gurney. But hopefully she is ok. Does anyone know who she is or how to check on her?

tanker223
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tanker223 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:25 pm

They do. Part of the problem is they are all amped to ride but they only invest in one kite easy on. They are going to try to ride it cause they are stoked, not cause they got bad advice.
Colin

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Tue May 06, 2014 10:09 am

jalassim wrote:
ozreiuosn wrote:If you see folks you don't recognize, introduce yourself, etc. Its the start of a new season so we have the opportunity to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen again.

Hi,
I don't know if you are talking about me but I also got tangled with a guy last week.
It seems that he was beginner too. I had no option but to eject my kite. I checked for the other dude and apology (But being busy handling my kite, I maybe did not insisted on the apology part)... He was fine and already on his way to leave, so I did the same.

If this guy was you I sincerely apology, I did not meant to be rude and I did not do that on purpose (obviously).

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Hmmm, doesn't sound you were him. But your gesture is appreciated! Thanks!

CaptChris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CaptChris » Fri May 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Oh that's what happened!
I saw the paramedics arrive while out riding.
Sincerely hope she's ok. And hopefully wont give up the sport.

Also, as a beginner myself, Jane, Jessie and Charlie have assisted me corrected me on a few occasions. Always heeded their advice and greatly appreciate their guidance.

Thanks a bunch Jane, Jessie and Charlie! You're a huge asset to us beginning kiters.

Chris