LMG - R.I.P.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windhorny
Old School
Old School
Re: LMG - R.I.P.

Post by windhorny » Mon May 05, 2014 10:46 pm

And that bench is yet another example of greg making sure he helped out. He insisted on getting the lumber, cutting it all to size, help bring it all there, plant it in concrete, then move it to under the awning. Always there to help a brother out.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue May 06, 2014 7:23 am

It's good to see so many people here and on Facebook who've had so many things to say about him - he's done so much for so many and touched so many people's lives. I spoke to one of his clients by phone yesterday after arriving at the shop I've shared with Greg for probably around 10 years, which will continue to be hard for some time I imagine, and his clients life and house had been so touched by Greg over the years, he said Greg was truly like family.

Most everyone in the kiting community knew or Greg's skills and talent but to have shared shop space with him for long always gave me a peek and insight into what he was working on, his ups and downs and Greg himself. So often I would arrive at the shop early in the morning starting out the day's work and would find myself wandering over to his space and seeing and marveling at the the projects he had underway - I was always impressed - sometimes just as much so with the mess he made! Which was funny as he always had an eye on me and my space and never held back with his "suggestions" and "requests" towards me which he'd post on the chalkboard. I wanted to toss the chalkboard in the dumpster sometimes! But that's all part of Greg and his passion - he was a perfectionist and liked things a certain way.

I will miss him very much - personally he's had an big and ongoing presence in my life for years now and ever since I first met him on the beach at Alameda when I wondered who this outrageous, loud, talented kiter was and decided I wanted to meet him.

Here's a pic of Greg's Haven on the hillside near his house - a special place to him for a while now, and a pic of part of the shop space where so much was designed, created and shared with many others ranging from the beautiful Gold Coast Victorians of Alameda to Sherman Island kitesurfing ramps.

Love you, Greg!
Attachments
IMG_1285.jpg
Greg's Tree and Haven
IMG_1285.jpg (122.44KiB)Viewed 3117 times
IMG_1284.jpg
The Shop
IMG_1284.jpg (192.29KiB)Viewed 3117 times

moblvet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by moblvet » Tue May 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Shocked as we all are.
Does anyone know, if his dog Sweetie has a good home now?

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Tue May 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Wow, that's really hard to hear. I did my Alameda time back in 2003/2004 and he was always there willing to share advice. Going to be missed.

john

robotvox
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by robotvox » Tue May 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Heartbreaking. I haven't logged onto this forum for years but after hearing the news I just had to stop in and say something in his memory.

I remember looking on this forum to borrow a projector for a custom kite painting project I was working on, and Greg quickly stepped up to the plate and opened his shop to me. He basically dropped what he was doing to help me out, even though I was virtually a stranger (we had briefly chatted at Alameda up to that point). After that day I was so grateful for his help, not so much that I got to use his projector and work space, but because I got to know a truly great guy.

Some time later, I was in search of a trainer kite to borrow for a weekend when I was introducing a friend to kitesurfing. Once again, LMG was on it. That's the kind of guy Greg was, always there to help somebody in need if he was able. Making people feel welcome. Just an incredible human being and an inspiration. He was one of those people that you knew, even when he was alive, how special he was.

Thank you Gregory, for your kindness, your uniqueness, your life. Wherever you may be now, I hope it's a pleasant wind blowing you to the next adventure.

-Mike Seeba

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Wed May 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Always sad to lose a member of our great brethren. I presume that since noone has said why or how he passed that we will never publicly know.
Has anyone seen an obituary?

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Wed May 07, 2014 4:33 pm

Here is another picture from happier times, the 2002 King of the Air in Maui where LMG kited with the celebrities of that time..... LMG with Robby Naish and Flash Austin.

I remember so many of his stories and fun days with him. Early on he had those Peter Lynn kites and in a low wind Alameda day he stacked them, a purple and a yellow kite upon on each other. It was a spectacular sight!

Dang - I'll miss you my friend.....

Warm winds!

Sylvia
DSC00109.JPG
LMG with Robby Naish and Flash Austin
DSC00109.JPG (438.38KiB)Viewed 2906 times

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed May 07, 2014 5:25 pm

ya sweetie and her brother are ok

lizzie the lizard I'm not sure about...but the family's taking care of things
charlie

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Thu May 08, 2014 4:18 pm

kitecrazy wrote:Always sad to lose a member of our great brethren. I presume that since noone has said why or how he passed that we will never publicly know.
Has anyone seen an obituary?
That might be a touchy subject best left alone.

GracieMarie
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by GracieMarie » Fri May 09, 2014 9:59 am

Thank you for the beautiful "good bye", Zeev, it was gorgeous. And thank you Charlie, for letting us know that the dogs are good.

I've been thinking about LMG as if he had a terminal illness and chose euthanasia instead of ongoing suffering. When one tries everything, and the pain returns again and again, it begins to wear on the soul. In that respect, I support his decision to discontinue suffering. He did the absolute best he could, but life is, ultimately, a terminal thing.

He is reminding us all, before we run out of time, to live up a storm. Getting busy living, really living, not putting anything off, is a good plan. Thanks for all the amazing times, honey, and we'll be seeing you in our dreams.