Season opener: Safety refresher

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Season opener: Safety refresher

Post by biba » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:39 pm

Since we're about to see a lot of people hitting the waters, and especially 3rd ave, I wanted to copy-paste an excellent excerpt from Cabrinha user manual. When I started out kiting I was instructed (by a prestigious IKO school in the bay whom shall remain un-named) to keep the kite high as i enter the water. I realized (on my own and pretty quick) later how bad of an idea that is. without much delay, here it is, excellent guide:

"KITE POSITIONS, ZONE & POWER
It is important to understand kiteboarding’s basic zones of power before you launch a kite. MANY OF THE ACCIDENTS THAT HAPPEN IN KITEBOARDING happen on land, and many also happen when kiteboarders put their kites in what is called neutral position.

Unfortunately, people often think that the kite is stable in neutral position. However, wind fluctuates-it gusts and lulls-and in neutral position, something known as lofting can occur when wind fluctuates. When a kite luffs (or receives less wind in its foil), the kite will move slightly away from the pilot. When a gust hits, the kite receives a surge of power, and often that surge of power is too much for a kiteboarder standing with the kite high overhead. As a result, the kiteboarder may be lofted (lifted) into the air. Lofting can be serious, but you may reduce the chances of lofting by understanding the power zones, and by avoiding putting your kite in the neutral position while on land.

Neutral Position - This is the position just above the pilot’s head in the sky. If the pilot levels out the bar, the kite will gravitate to the neutral position. However, it is difficult and dangerous to keep the kite in this position. Although in this position the kite may feel steady and may feel like it has the least amount of power or pull, it is also the position in which on land the pilot is most susceptible to lofting. On the water, the neutral position can be utilized to rest while you reel in your board, but on land, we strongly suggest you do not utilize the neutral position.

After launching, it is best to make your way to the water without delay. Do NOT linger on land with the kite in neutral position. It is VERY dangerous." (excerpt from Cabrinha user manual)

Kite safe!