Waterproof iPhone Cases

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin
Waterproof iPhone Cases

Post by WindMuch » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi All,

I take my iPhone with me in the water as both an emergency communication device (for the places I kite which have AT&T cell signal) and to take pictures and video while in the water. I've tried a bunch of different cases and I thought I'd share my experiences in a review-like format.

I’ve played around with 4+ different waterproof cases for my iPhone (a 5S) - every case design has pros and cons depending on how you want to use it; whether you want/need waterproof access to the headphone jack, if it’s the case you'll use daily or just in the water and what type of pictures/video you want to take while your phone is in the case.

Full Disclosure: HitCase and Optrix sent me their cases as evaluation units. My opinion below is honest and I have not been paid or otherwise compensated for providing my observations here.

For daily use, *I* prefer a minimal/non-bulky case and to touch the glass on the screen (vs. a screen protector), so I use a standard (non-waterproof) case and then pop my phone in the waterproof case for kiting/surfing/ski/snowboarding/SUP, etc. Therefore, ease/speed of installation is important.

Some cases provide waterproof access to the headphone jack and some don't. In addition to accessing the headphone jack, another consideration is the case’s camera lens. In my experimenting, I’ve seen cases with:
a. No or limited access to the front or rear facing cameras at all.
b. Access to the iPhone's native camera lens
c. Telephoto or Fisheye/wide angle built into the case
d. Removable/interchangeable lenses

Every time you make a hole in the case (i.e. for interchangeable lenses or access to the headphone jack), you make a place for a leak to happen.

If you plan to use this as your everyday case, pay attention to audio quality for the mic, handset speaker and speakerphone speaker. If the phone is tightly packed away in a waterproof case, sound may or may not travel in and out of the phone very well during normal daily use.

I haven’t found any plastic screen protector/case that works very well when it’s soaking wet. Sometimes even sliding the on-screen slider to activate my camera when I’m in the water is impossible. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to when I can activate the phone (ie. to take a picture, send a text or initiate a FaceTime video chat - yes, video chatting while in the middle of a kite session has been done!)

I recommend Apple’s AppleCare+ 2-year extended warranty for any iPhone you plan to put in a "waterproof” case. This way, if you flood the phone, it only costs $79 each time, for up to two “incidents”. AppleCare+ must be purchased within the first year, before the standard iPhone warranty expires.

Here’s some info on my experiences with the different cases I’ve used:

1. H20 Audio Amphibix $70
http://www.x-1.com/store/waterproof-cas ... phone.html
H20_Audio.jpg
H20_Audio.jpg (36.05KiB)Viewed 10808 times
Pros: Never leaked, waterproof access to headphone jack.
Cons: Not quick to install phone, cheesy-feeling vinyl screen protector wasn’t very touch sensitive, large and floppy, almost zero crush protection.
Camera Lens: No access to rear-facing camera while iPhone is in case.

2. LifeProof Fre $80
http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iph ... ne-5-case/
LifeProof_Fre.jpg
LifeProof_Fre.jpg (51.4KiB)Viewed 10808 times
Pros: Access to the headphone port (with waterproof headphones), no leaks in my experience.
Cons: installing/removing phone isn’t fast. Cheesy-feeling plastic screen protector. Hard to install phone in case without getting microscopic dust between the screen and screen protector.
Camera Lens: Normal (no tele or fisheye/wide angle)

3. HitCase $90 & HitCase Pro $130
http://www.hitcase.com/hitcase-pro
HitCasePro.jpg
HitCasePro.jpg (51.15KiB)Viewed 10808 times
Pros: Most solid of the cases I’ve used. Easy-open clamshell design makes for very quick install/removal of phone from case. HitCase Pro has Fisheye/wide angle lens which makes for some really cool/artistic photos (see below). Available/optional GoPro-like mounting system for mounting camera on boards, helmets, ski/SUP poles/padles, etc. 170 degree wide angle lens is very similar to the GoPro lens.
Cons: I’ve had leakage problems with these cases*. Wide angle lens isn't good for taking pictures of items (friends kiting) when they’re more than a few yards away. No waterproof access to headphone jack. Lenses aren’t interchangeable so you have to choose between natural or 170 degree lens when you purchase the case.
Camera Lens: Natural (HitCase) or 170 degree fisheye/wide angle (HitCase Pro).

*The HitCase folks were VERY responsive when I reported my first leak. I had a personal phone call from the owner/founder of the company and they’ve sent me replacement cases. They’re super responsive and easy to deal with.

Disclaimer: HitCase sent me these cases as evaluation units. Good PR may be part of their motivation to be so responsive and fast in replacing my leaky cases, but I got a genuine feeling they were just ‘doing the right thing’ and standing behind their product.

4. Optrix PhotoProX $150
http://www.optrix.com/store/optrix-photoprox/
Optrix_small.jpg
Optrix_small.jpg (31.2KiB)Viewed 10792 times
Pros: This is the second easiest case to install the phone in (HitCase is fastest). Interchangeable camera lenses, LOTS of different mounting options
Cons: iPhone doesn’t fit directly into the case; you must put the phone in a plastic sleeve before sliding it into the case, no waterproof access to headphone jack, My telephoto lens came apart (they sent me a replacement, but this could have been a leakage problem had it happened in the water), O-Ring design for removable lenses might leak if not installed carefully, I find the 175 degree lens (vs. 170 degree on the HitCase) too wide - it just doesn’t take the same cool images as the 170 degree lens on the HitCase.
Camera Lens(es): Neutral, 2x Telephoto, 175 degree fisheye/wide angle, 10x Macro

Video wise, the case you choose probably depends on what you're trying to film while in the water. If you're looking for GoPro-like point-of-view footage from your perspective while riding, one of the cases with a wide angle lens will provide the best results. If you're trying to shoot footage of someone else at any distance (i.e. a friend kiting), you'll want a case with a neutral or telephoto lens.

I find I keep going back to the HitCase Pro, even though I have a bad taste in my mouth from the initial leakage problems. I really like how easy it is to put the phone inside and snap it shut on 3 sides. And I really, really like the images from the fisheye/wide angle lens:
SUP_Wide.jpg
SUP_Wide.jpg (157.76KiB)Viewed 10808 times
Skim_wideangle.jpg
Skim_wideangle.jpg (118KiB)Viewed 10808 times
JS@OB.jpg
JS@OB.jpg (109.78KiB)Viewed 10808 times

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Re: Waterproof iPhone Cases

Post by Yoda » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:29 pm

I have one from Drycase that I've been really happy with... http://www.drycase.com

There were three features about it that stood out the most to me...
1) It has an external jack so you can use it with waterproof headphones. It even comes with some decent ones that have a waterproof mic built in, so you can make/take calls if you so choose.
2) It has a vacuum seal/pump feature that confirms it's water tight. The vacuum also sucks the cover tight to the touch screen, so it allows the screen to be operated fairly well in my experience.
3) It has a strap design that allows it to attach to your upper arm. No hanging it around your neck or having to find a secure spot to put it.

My only complaint is it's not as streamlined or sexy as some of the others, but for only $40 I think it's the best bang for the buck. Here's the picture quality (sorry it's not cooler)...
IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg (84.07KiB)Viewed 10762 times

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Kirk! Glad you started this subject. I carry my VHF with me at Crissy but using a phone would be great for music/problems at places like third or Sherman where the coastguard are not the closest option.
Yoda: so glad you posted this since I don't use an iPhone. Looks pretty awesome for anything else. Any leakage overtime? Have you tried their headphones over the ear with mic? Indeed, it looks like the best bang for the bucks option out there. MJ0_
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

mcfly777
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mcfly777 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 am

I have been using a cheap waterproof case (by Eco-Fused, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084B ... UTF8&psc=1) and it works very well. Granted, I don't have access to the headphone jack and don't take pictures, I just hook it to my vest and store it in the pocket for emergencies.

Leo
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 9.31.28 .jpg
Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 9.31.28 .jpg (36.28KiB)Viewed 10702 times

jsin138
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jsin138 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Kirk, great post! Thank you for the info.

Another case I've been intrigued by is the LifeProof Nuud. It creates a seal around the glass touchscreen, eliminating the need for an awkward screen protector. I love the concept of having direct access to the screen. I have read some good reviews, but curious if anyone has had any experience with this one.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:59 pm

I too am intrigued by the LifeProof Nuud and meant to mention it in the info above. I'm somewhat skeptical about the integrity of the seal on the front glass being more than just 'water resistant' but I believe they claim it's good for underwater use.

Again, consider audio quality if you're planning to use this for everyday use - the Nuud case covers the speakers and mic. If anyone has one, please provide some 411!

Kirk out

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:52 pm

le noun wrote:Yoda: so glad you posted this since I don't use an iPhone. Looks pretty awesome for anything else. Any leakage overtime? Have you tried their headphones over the ear with mic? Indeed, it looks like the best bang for the bucks option out there. MJ0_
So far I've had zero issue with leakage. What's also nice is the vacuum feature eliminates any possibility of fogging or moisture build up inside which is especially nice when taking pics or video.
I've only used the stock headphones once. They're not bad, but like most waterproof headphones, the sound quality is somewhat lacking, but it's better than nothing. If it's windy the mic can be almost useless due to wind noise.
If impact protection is critical, you can combine the Drycase with something like an OtterBox to protect the phone. I did this when riding my mtn bike with it.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Kiting with music is a pretty amazing experience.

One thing I don't dig is not being able to hear what's going on around me when launching/landing or in a critical situation. I find it nice to be able to easily remove headphones and/or mute the audio easily if/when things get critical and being able to hear is important.

Kirk out

angelaholmes
Joey
Joey

Post by angelaholmes » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:12 pm

I liked the concept of these waterproof iphone cases . These waterproof phones are really helpful for water skiing and can be useful for other options as well. I mostly go for skiing at location ski avoriaz , it famous for beautiful mountains and resorts for various types of skiing.

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 am

I have DryCase myself. Win hands down. No issues. Doesn't really mix well with freestyle with that armband mount. Might be worth a lanyard and around your neck and under your impact vest.