Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Hoping some friendly locals can give me some advice.
I am a Vancouver Island kiter/surfer vising the Bay Area for a conference, Nov 7-11. I have freed up a few hours for fun on Fri the 7th and all day on Monday the 11th, I hope to chase some wind. With surfing as a backup plan.
I know it is off season, but I am both hopeful and desperate. ;-)
I plan to bring my big kite (12m), plus possibly 1 smaller one if the forecast calls for it. I'll bring a small mako. I would rather ride a surfboard, but don't want the baggage charges.
My tentative plan on Friday is to go to either Crissy Field or 3rd Ave, whichever is the better bet. Or elsewhere, if recommended. I only have a few hours between landing and dark.
On Monday, I would like to kitesurf on an ocean beach if at all possible....Waddell Creek? Bodega Bay? Somewhere in between? Alternatively, could stay in the Bay if conditions are too iffy. Open to recommendations...or if someone wants to go for a road trip, gas is on me in exchange for guidance and a launch!
Long range forecast looks like maybe up to 14kts in the Bay Friday afternoon and maybe into the 20s on Monday. Though I assume those are just hopes and dreams at this point.
Any input most appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Kites: 2017 F-One Bandit: 8m. 2017 F-One Breeze 11m.
Board: 2015 F-One 5'10 Mitu Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Exoharness.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4/3 X10D
Friday is unlikely, but you got a good chance for Monday storm winds. Last weekend looked great at Ocean Beach but Waddell was probably even better. Alameda is the safest fallback for riding in the bay when storms come through strong, but I'm thinking you may not see winds fill in the bay for your timeframe. You'll probably see some 20, 30, ? knot gusts, so know your limits and bring the right size kite.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein
Frankly, leave your kites home. You're not going to get any wind. Zero. Zip. Maaaaybe a S storm wind late on monday. The season is over storm and clearing winds are all we'll get till next year's.
However, you can count on fantastic surf every single one of those days. I would be glad to pick you up and take you out to OB, maybe even a trip to Santa Cruz. If i were you i'd rent a board here for $20 rather than bringing your own. I'd let you borrow but i only have one (that is not in need of repairs!).
pm me if you want to do that. I'll probably be in the water every day starting yesterday hehe
I'll be going up your way late dec to ski. Psyched about heli skiing on new years day too!
Thanks a lot for the info Jwest and etxxz.
Kiting is definitely the priority if there's even a hope....and I know about storms and clearing winds, check out tomorrow's report for up here
that is 25ESE to 35W in a matter of minutes, and probably right as it gets dark.
I suspect I am out of luck for Friday, as it is probably blown out surf in the afternoon, but not enough wind to kite. I will probably just explore the Bay's spots for future reference....so far, sounds like the tour is Crissy, Alameda, 3rd Ave...then Pacifica and OB on the way back.
For Mon, I am holding on to hopes for it to blow 20 and there will be some small kiteable waves. But surfing near santa cruz will be back up plan. Etxxz: I may take you up on that, or you can come along in my rental car. If you just have 1 board, bring that, and I'll rent one...nice to have a friendly face in the lineup down there. But it might cost you some time watching me flounder around in barely kiteble conditions.
[and heli skiing new year's sounds like an excellent plan!]
Thanks Victor....I think I might be short on time to get up there....darn time change.
Just remembered another question....what are people wearing for wetsuits these days? Get away with a good quality 4/3, or the full hooded 5/4 winter suit needed?
Well, I have been watching wind forecasts for last few days on this site, for all the spots recommended:
It has gone from *maybe* 12m to probably nothing....same thing happens up here, the models give a little hope, then as it gets closer, it often changes for the worse.
Looks like local knowledge wins out again! I am now debating whether to bring gear...on the one hand, I HATE being caught short, sitting on a beach watching nice conditions without gear. On the other hand, might cost me $200 in baggage charges to bring it. (and on that note, looking at Alaska Air's baggage policies, makes me choked that golf is listed as an exclusion to size restrictions...I knew this was done informally, but didn't realize it is actually a regulation...so if I bring 1 club, does that mean it is a golf bag? ;-)
Anyways, looks like I may be kiting down there another day. Will bring a wetsuit for possible surf...may look you up etxxz. Thanks to all for the tips and advice. And if you are ever up north, PM me, I'll give you the straight goods on Vancouver Island wind possibilities....1 kiter helping another makes the world go 'round.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests