Maui Kitebeach to be banned?, Petition to save

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Maui Kitebeach to be banned?, Petition to save

Post by Col.kiteman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Btw, signed, of course

John Doe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by John Doe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:08 pm

marinkiter wrote:What would be funny if it wasn't so sad was that every time this Kanaha Ban / Aggro Parent thread comes up on any site, whether it be Kiteforum or Ikite, it creates a giant flamewar and turns into kiter on kiter crime. Pretty soon the aggro parent who has been so well indulged (aka Phillip Bolek aka Konamax) finds the thread and douses it with as much gas as he can, then some crazy kite "instructors" from Malibu will start righteously getting involved, and pretty soon we will need forum moderators to step in and ban people and delete threads...

I've been rubbernecking this "Issue" for awhile now. I'm amazed one guy with a vendetta, who apparently isn't even a Maui local but is from Michigan, can cause this much mayhem and division. My personal feeling after reading everything he has written, is that he is a troll with no life who gets off on screwing with our entire sport, but even if there were some merit to his complaint, his motives notwithstanding, wouldn't it behoove us to concentrate on getting the regs changed to support kiting all over kitebeach rather than bitching each other out about what we think happened or did not happen? Anyway, petition signed.
+100, you summed it up perfectly. Everyone should work together to resolve the issue. Signed.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Pretty soon the aggro parent who has been so well indulged (aka Phillip Bolek aka Konamax) finds the thread and douses it with as much gas as he can, then some crazy kite "instructors" from Malibu will start righteously getting involved, and pretty soon we will need forum moderators to step in and ban people and delete threads...
I think you have it DOWN COMPLETELY, there are some CRAZY PEOPLE out there that just want to make us all NUTS too.

Knock on wood, vibe in the Bay Area is good, let's keep it that way.

SIGN THE PETITION!

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:54 am

Just received this bad news:

Mr Ed Underwood from DLNR-DOBOR just confirmed that they are moving forward and preparing to install three sets of buoys at Kanaha Beach. These buoys will designate the expanded zones that will exclude all vessels and watercraft. This includes; kites, canoes, windsurfers, surfers, SUP etc. The expanded zone includes about three thousand five hundred (3500) feet of shoreline that will become an exclusive swim zone. This represents an huge increase over the currently used areas. Now any vessel or craft that attempts to enter or cross these expanded zones will be subject to increased enforcement which includes; fines and possible confiscation of equipment.
Mr Underwood also confirmed that this enforcement action is in direct response to the confrontations between the kiteboarder and the swimmers at Ka'a point.

He also stated that there are currently no plans to update or amend the old rules, that are about to be enforced.

The DLNR-DOBOR confirmed that they have already built the marker buoys and anchor systems, and plan to install them very soon.

We anticipate that once these buoys are installed and the old zones are enforced, that it will become an extremely difficult task trying to reverse this process at a later time.
Please don't let this catastrophic loss of access occur, everyone will be affected because all of the current users will be forced to crowd into a reduced area that is far smaller than the currently accesible area. This will create a domino effect of overlapping user groups that will be forced to move into each others areas.
Every concerned person should take immediate action to contact the authorities and try to persuede them to defer the installment of these buoys until a reasonable and updated management plan can be reached.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Its a shame....they will learn their lesson if they close the beach down and realize how much money they are loosing when kiters go elsewhere for much better wind....

Maui is a magical place, but there is a lot of magic elsewhere.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:40 pm

It's certainly a magic hard to beat.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

windsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by windsurfer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:00 am

Looks like one of the windsurfing launches is going to be severely impacted by this turn of events. Not cool guys!

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:53 am

kanaha_swim_zone_150.jpg
kanaha_swim_zone_150.jpg (104.06KiB)Viewed 5138 times

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:47 am

Like they are the only place, or Hi island, we can kite in. Reversing this will be hard. Meanwhile i'll go spend my kite / travel money elsewhere. Not much we could do besides signing that petition thing. Oh well.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:56 am

etxxz wrote:Like they are the only place, or Hi island, we can kite in. Reversing this will be hard. Meanwhile i'll go spend my kite / travel money elsewhere. Not much we could do besides signing that petition thing. Oh well.
Going to Baja for 6 weeks in January and February....got some space in the house which is located on the beach... :)
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot