Maui Kitebeach to be banned?, Petition to save

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Signed

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Re: Maui Kitebeach to be banned?, Petition to save

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:41 pm

recoprianto wrote:
Tony Soprano wrote:This was all caused by some kite boarders being jerks to a family with small children.
You say this like you were on the beach while this whole thing started. I am guessing you were not.

I was there almost every day during the beginning of this little spat. The family started most of this and a few (2-3) kiters that stayed involved and made it worse than it should have been...then this family then made it their personal cross to never "give up the fight" and get kiting banned at Kitebeach.

BFD, I am well aware of the situation, kite boarders need to tread lightly on a multi use beaches.
Know there are consequences, they picked on the wrong person.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Signed.

and put in following opinion "I always wanted to go there for kitesurfing. If this ban will be in effect, I will go else where"

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:53 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with hearing the voice of a visitor and respecting the fact that they feel dissatisfied - but they must also realize reason stands that it would be for the greater good not to enforce a ban as others mentioned

With a little tolerance and cooperation I'm sure there is enough island to go around for everyone no matter what one likes to do... But I think visitors should be as prepared to respect that philosophy as Maui is prepared to welcome them to their home

"When in Rome..." (Cue Ron Burgundy gif)

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: Re: Maui Kitebeach to be banned?, Petition to save

Post by kitenaked » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:41 pm

recoprianto wrote:
Tony Soprano wrote:This was all caused by some kite boarders being jerks to a family with small children.
You say this like you were on the beach while this whole thing started. I am guessing you were not.

I was there almost every day during the beginning of this little spat. The family started most of this and a few (2-3) kiters that stayed involved and made it worse than it should have been...then this family then made it their personal cross to never "give up the fight" and get kiting banned at Kitebeach.
So he was right....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 pm

_+_+ Jerk

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:59 pm

(*tt Grow up idiots
Last edited by Tony Soprano on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:00 pm

This all came about when a family complained about kiters coming into a swimming area. The kiters said they need this particular area to launch during certain wind conditions. I'm sure this is true. But, the kiters, instead of doing the right thing and trying to work it out with the swimmers, or working with the authorities to get the swimming area moved, foolishly escalated things by making it personal between them and the family. Apparently there were threats, swearing, name calling, near fights, and vandalism (the family car's tires were punctured by someone).

In contrast to this, for years windsurfers have helped maintain the buoys and lines marking the swimming area roped off near where the lifeguard station used to be. And, at times when the lines were down we let tourists know to stay out of these areas. Unfortunately the kiters don't seem to know that they and we won't get what we want by antagonizing others.

The state has now posted signs declaring some areas to be swimming areas based on laws that go back decades. This means nobody can legally launch there or come in there (especially bad if one has a break down or the wind drops).

Now we're forced to do what the kiters should have done at the start: work with the authorities to recognize the need for us to have shoreline access in particular areas, and that swimming areas can be moved to areas that don't interfere with windsport access.
Last edited by Tony Soprano on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:06 pm

The bigger picture here is what does this mean for NorCal access?
We need to be proactive in avoiding a situation like that here.
One of the places I'm concerned about is Dillon.
That's one of the places where the most user variability is concentrated.
Maybe we should come up with launch guidelines there that will minimize the chances of an accident or possibly worse a fight like they they got that started this whole thing at Kanaha.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:47 am

I am a San Francisco Board Sailing Association volunteer Site steward and field representative.

When Jesse Richman was passing through this summer he commented on the problems on Maui and asked for my advice.

I gave him all the written information I had. He commented on our good efforts on safety, access and getting along with other user groups.