Where can I rent Equipment?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Borb
Joey
Joey
Where can I rent Equipment?

Post by Borb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Hey,

I'm currently on vacation in San Francisco, and saw some Kites close to the golden gate bridge. Unfortunately I did not bring any Equipment with me from Germany. Is there any plase where I could rent a full set of equipment (wetsuit + kite + board + harness) for a reasonable price?

Are the forecast/superforecast values of windfinder reliable in this area?

Thanks!
Borb

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Re: Where can I rent Equipment?

Post by Tony Soprano » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:37 pm

No gear rentals.
Off Season.
Local knowledge.
Rare for November.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:51 am

To translate what Tony is trying to say here: kite season is over for us here in Novemeber, and only winds we'll get are from passing storms. They shoot up, die out and leave you stranded in the middle of the bay, especially in a location as difficult as Golden Gate Bridge (launch is Crissy Field). Anyone you likely saw riding this weekend, has extensive knowledge of the conditions from years of experience.

As far as I know, there are a few schools in the area that you can rent the gear and take a boat out to the wind but it won't be cheap (if they even do it this late). Kite the bay is a good option to look into. I don't think any of them just rent kites without it revolving around a lesson or an assisted downwinder.

Forecasting for the area at this time pretty much revolves around the storms, usually the best conditions occur when they pass just north of us and bring us a bit of wind without the rain (like yesterday). If we get hit dead on, then getting out directly before the rains comes (careful of increasing winds and gusts) and in the clearing winds that follow (die out quickly and still gusty) is where it's at.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 am

Season is just beginning : )

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:46 am

We have a full retail shop, rentals, and lessons. If you need a wetsuit to rent (or kite board to rent) come see us! Beach side retail shop/rental/lesson facilities in Alameda and San Mateo
http://boardsportsschool.com/contact/
We are open 7 days a week at both locations
Jane
Found this in another thread. ;-)

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:40 pm

jwest21 wrote:To translate what Tony is trying to say here: kite season is over for us here in Novemeber, and only winds we'll get are from passing storms. They shoot up, die out and leave you stranded in the middle of the bay, especially in a location as difficult as Golden Gate Bridge (launch is Crissy Field). Anyone you likely saw riding this weekend, has extensive knowledge of the conditions from years of experience.

As far as I know, there are a few schools in the area that you can rent the gear and take a boat out to the wind but it won't be cheap (if they even do it this late). Kite the bay is a good option to look into. I don't think any of them just rent kites without it revolving around a lesson or an assisted downwinder.

Forecasting for the area at this time pretty much revolves around the storms, usually the best conditions occur when they pass just north of us and bring us a bit of wind without the rain (like yesterday). If we get hit dead on, then getting out directly before the rains comes (careful of increasing winds and gusts) and in the clearing winds that follow (die out quickly and still gusty) is where it's at.

+1 This is exactly what I meant, good explanation.