New to the Bay-Area

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
roybens
Joey
Joey
New to the Bay-Area

Post by roybens » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:16 am

Hi All,
I just moved to the bay area and finally got all my equipment together.
I'm a bit after being a beginner kiter so i preffer to go for my first rides in a place where there is a school so they can take a look at my gear and help me be sure its all safe (i changed the lines in the bar). as i saw in windfinder there should be some wind this weekend thought i am not sure the direction is fine. And i am not sure the schools would be open i am living in oakland so alameda would be easiest. but i am willing to go wherever cuz i am dying to get into the water already.
So i would appreciate if you guys know if the schools would be open\where it should be the best spot to go this weekend?
Thanks
Roy

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: New to the Bay-Area

Post by Thor29 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:24 pm

The season is pretty much over now, especially for beginners. It's more or less March thru October. The experts might get in a few more sessions over the fall and winter, but wind conditions tend to be trickier and less reliable. Wait until March and then contact Boardsports for a lesson at Crown Beach in Alameda. That's the best place for beginners in the Bay Area and it usually has decent wind in the spring. Word of advice - get in as much kiting as possible in the springtime so that you can switch to 3rd Ave when the wind dies off in Alameda in the summer otherwise you will be very frustrated. 3rd Ave has much better wind than Alameda but isn't as beginner friendly due to big rocks along the shoreline. Those are the best spots to learn at, the only other beginner friendly spots in the Bay Area are Bodega Bay (too far away) and the Toll Plaza near the Bay Bridge (not as many kiters to help you out if you get into trouble, plus sketchy parking situation).

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:57 am

you could get lucky at alameda on monday according to the forecast.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:40 am

Thor29 wrote:The season is pretty much over now, especially for beginners. Wait until March and then contact Boardsports for a lesson at Crown Beach in Alameda. That's the best place for beginners in the Bay Area and it usually has decent wind in the spring.
+1
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:06 am

Thor29 wrote:The season is pretty much over now, especially for beginners. It's more or less March thru October. The experts might get in a few more sessions over the fall and winter, but wind conditions tend to be trickier and less reliable. Wait until March and then contact Boardsports for a lesson at Crown Beach in Alameda. That's the best place for beginners in the Bay Area and it usually has decent wind in the spring. Word of advice - get in as much kiting as possible in the springtime so that you can switch to 3rd Ave when the wind dies off in Alameda in the summer otherwise you will be very frustrated. 3rd Ave has much better wind than Alameda but isn't as beginner friendly due to big rocks along the shoreline. Those are the best spots to learn at, the only other beginner friendly spots in the Bay Area are Bodega Bay (too far away) and the Toll Plaza near the Bay Bridge (not as many kiters to help you out if you get into trouble, plus sketchy parking situation).

+1 All frontal and clearing storm wind for the next five months...including this weekend.

roybens
Joey
Joey

Post by roybens » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Hey Guys thank you so much for your comments!