No helmet = no launch ?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kenjidnb
Contributor
Contributor
Re: No helmet = no launch ?

Post by kenjidnb » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:57 am

The other day, I had to refuse to launch some guy who wasn't wearing any sunscreen :snooty:

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:27 am

My personal response to somebody who would not launch me or my many friends who do not wear helmets would be "You are an incredibly obnoxious weirdo". If I were only scolded but launched, I'd give thanks for the launch but I'd be sort of pissed.

This has nothing to do whether or not helmets are a good idea, and certainly it's a good topic to discuss. It has everything to do with the original poster's attitude, which screams that anyone going without a helmet is obviously devoid of all common sense and therefore must be saved from themselves.

Such an attitude implies that all people with a diverse opinion (at least on this subject) are obviously uninformed, and it's impossible to conceive that they might be operating in an informed manner with full awareness of the risks of their actions. Not wear a helmet? That's suicide!

I'm not a political conservative, but this kind of "we must save people even if they're too stupid to think like us so let's regulate their behavior" attitude is one of the things that contributes to the incredible divide we have in our broken political discourse.

I can imagine that the OP strongly disapproves of smoking in approved areas and frets at the sight of a well mannered dog walking off leash. He might even be the guy that parks it at 65 in the left lane of the freeway, because that way he can stop others from dangerously exceeding the speed limit.

Next step for OP: initiating action to promote laws that compel people to wear helmets. Let's not stop there. PFDs should be required, too. People should be licensed before they can go out. It's safer that way. It's for your own good. It's all........such needless intrusion.

Please. Chastising people you don't even know for not wearing a helmet is intrusive, rude and obnoxious. In a civilized society, you are entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to scold others if their actions don't impinge on your liberties, even if you think they are stupid morons.

Cali_Rider
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cali_Rider » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 am

sflinux wrote: I still believe that launching unhooked is the safest way because if anything goes wrong, just let go of the bar.
ummm...

troybo13
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by troybo13 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Knock, knock. Who's there? Helmet Nazi.

Most people do not believe a helmet is "absolutely necessary".
Thank you for being concerned about my safety though.

: )
Moved from Hilton Head Island, SC to Bay Area
Slingshot Asylum 138
SS RPM 12m, 10m, 8m

JRaut
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JRaut » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:25 pm

More Waves Please
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by More Waves Please » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 pm

I mostly ride on the coast. An interesting fact there is that even at a very crowded spot, most of the regulars routinely self-launch & self-land their kites. There are very few launching & landing incidents. Oh, and virtually nobody wears helmets. Maybe that's a surfer "cool" factor, or maybe it's just a bunch of guys who understand the risks of what they're getting into and have decided that a helmet isn't "necessary".

A handful of times per year I kite at 3rd Ave. First off, I'm surprised there aren't serious injuries at the upper launch more often. It seems that every time I'm there, somebody blows a launch, with differing levels of outcome. Mostly just a scared and muddy ride towards the rocks before the kite crashes.

At the 3rd upper launch, I think there are just as many issues with the launcher as there are with the rider. I've had so many absolutely terrible launchers that I seriously consider self-launching every time I ride at 3rd. I'd rather risk doing it on my own that have someone release the kite before my lines are stretched or throw the kite upwind so it stalls out.

The upper launch is generally used by newbies and moderately experienced kiters. The combo means that things are going to go wrong quite a bit, and that there's a good chance that rider is going to panic or freeze. If a helmet makes sense to you in that situation, then go for it. Don't make me wear a helmet, though. I'll end up self-launching anyway ;)

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:22 pm

be carefolo :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinkiter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:33 pm

friggin old guy wrote:
Next step for OP: initiating action to promote laws that compel people to wear helmets. Let's not stop there. PFDs should be required, too. People should be licensed before they can go out. It's safer that way. It's for your own good. It's all........such needless intrusion.

Please. Chastising people you don't even know for not wearing a helmet is intrusive, rude and obnoxious. In a civilized society, you are entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to scold others if their actions don't impinge on your liberties, even if you think they are stupid morons.
Was going to chime in but it looks like you guys got this covered. Kudos...

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:44 pm

marinkiter wrote:Was going to chime in but it looks like you guys got this covered. Kudos...
Totally got it covered.
I think scsurfer is making a new batch of popcorn too. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the show. 8)
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:37 am

It has everything to do with the original poster's attitude, which screams that anyone going without a helmet is obviously devoid of all common sense and therefore must be saved from themselves.
Let me clear up this non-sense first. The OP feels very strong that wearing a helmet is absolutely necessary. This is his belief based on his understanding of common sense. He is convinced (again, in his own opinion) that most people (i.e. more than 50%) share the same belief. Nowhere the OP implied or assumed that his understanding of common sense is universal, or that is should be universal (as many people clearly has misunderstood).

Then the OP presents a situation when he is approached and asked to launch someone who doesn't wear a helmet, so he is faced with a dilemma. The OP merely asks how to proceed by presenting three choices:

1) I can't launch you because this is contrary to my belief about right-and-wrong; while I respect your belief (the cool factor, helmets are ugly, and it is perfectly safe without them), I'd like you to respect mine, too. Do understand I don't want to be involved in what is contrary to my belief.

2) Even though this is contrary to my belief about right-and-wrong, I'll launch you anyway. I believe what you are doing is wrong, and don't make me do this again next time.

3) I'll launch you even though I believe this is wrong.

Naturally many people immediately extrapolate, and see that GoJoe, PFD and pink suits could be next factors. Yes, they could. If someone doesn't want to launch me because I have no PFD, I should respect it. I don't find it intrusive, rude of obnoxious at all. This is his belief, and in a civilized society we have a freedom of religion.

Many people misinterpret the whole point in this post. There is absolutely nothing here about compelling anyone to wear a helmet. The OP merely asks how people who share his belief feel when they are launching those who have no helmets, especially in light of the last accident.