Looking for nice beginner spot for 1 week vacation!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
stephaneb35
Joey
Joey
Looking for nice beginner spot for 1 week vacation!

Post by stephaneb35 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a nice spot for beginner / intermediate for 1 week free at the end of October.

I want to practise everyday so need wind garantee !
spot flat, not very deep...easy for launch, so beginner spot but windy everyday at the end of ocotber.

I heard about Eat cost Mexico, what about Hawai, or also South Padre island Texas...

Thank you for your information.

ben
Joey
Joey

Re: Looking for nice beginner spot for 1 week vacation!

Post by ben » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:12 pm

North Carolina is a good choice for a week at that time of year...shallow, flat water, reasonably windy, and it might be warm if you're lucky. If you can go for more time, I'd recommend Brazil but it's a lot of travel for 7 days

I've never been to SPI but it's worth considering as well--not sure how October is for wind

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:14 pm

SPI would be a good choice - flat, warm, waist deep and cheap. But no wind garantee - my experience is that you can ride about 75% of the days. But sometimes it will blow hard for one week and only a couple of days the next. (I have gone to SPI in Oct/Nov for the last 7 years). There will be some 3rd Ave crew down there again this year.

I think Brazil is your only option for guaranteed wind, but a week is pretty short for that long of a trip.

stephaneb35
Joey
Joey

Post by stephaneb35 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Thank you for all these informations.
I should go to SPI, hopefully it will be windy enough most of the week !
Which part of Brazil is a good spot??

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:27 pm

SPI is great when it's windy (frontal driven), but kind of boring when it's not. I think I was there around end of October a few years ago for a week and there were a few no wind days, a couple very marginal light days and one or two where it was nuking.

North East Brazil would definitely get you that wind guarantee but as mentioned above is not worth it for only a week. There are tons of spots, generally starting in Cumbuco which is fairly easily accessible from Fortaleza, tons of places to stay, lots of kite tourists and nightlife but a bit crowded (especially Cauipe lagoon). The further up the coast the stronger the winds get.

Spots I really liked: Taiba, Paracuru, Jericoacoara, Barra Grande.

I really want to visit a pousada some friends opened near Lencois http://maresia-atins.com/ but a huge trek to get there.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:12 am

I've never been but I really want to check out Jeri

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:27 am

Jeri has a fun nightlife but the kiting in town is only marginal - very gusty. If going to Jeri to kite expect to pay ~50 reis a day to rent a buggy to do downwinders from Jeri, drive you upwind to Prea and do a downwinder to Jeri, or take you to one of the nearby lagoons.

Another option is to stay in Prea, which has much steadier winds, but has nothing going on at night.

These places are definitely not appropriate for a 1 week trip - it takes a day and a half just to get there.

ben
Joey
Joey

Post by ben » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't bother taking my kites to Jeri but it's totally worth it for a change of pace and to enjoy the nightlife. It's a pretty easy bus trip from most of the kiting spots.

Yeah basically can't go wrong with most of the developed kite spots, although the closer you are to Fortaleza, the more insane (read crowded and kooky) it is.

Highly recommend Brazil for a kite trip but it would be painful for a week. But if you can take a month I would do it in a heartbeat

jjm's list of spots is good and I would add Ilha do Guajiru as another option but it's ~3hrs from Fortaleza

jjm, how did you like Barra Grande? I made it out there to Mar a Mar and had a great time, although it's so far that I'm not sure I'd recommend it...

toddeby
Joey
Joey

Post by toddeby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Boracay...

mas75
Joey
Joey

Post by mas75 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Boracay? Place has become a disaster...was lovely 15 years ago. Now...no beach, dirty, crowded.