Watersports - Which ones are yours?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sloughslut
Resident
Resident
Re: Watersports - Which ones are yours?

Post by sloughslut » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:51 am

1 wet tee shirt contests
2 waterboarding
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:55 am

sloughslut wrote:1 wet tee shirt contests
seems dangerous! do you wear a helmet? ,.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:41 am

yes i do
helmet.jpg
helmet.jpg (3.58KiB)Viewed 2040 times
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

rowboat
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by rowboat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Skateboarding was my first board sport. I started sailing lessons in Sausalito at age 9 in those little Flowerpots. I remember skating to the ferry to get to Saus.. My dad had a couple of different sailboats, and I loved sailing and the feeling of riding the wind. I spent my teens skateboarding all over SF, bombing hills and doing massive Ty slides, then picked up snowboarding when I was 14 or so, riding Soda Springs, Donner, Sugar Bowl until the other hills opened up. My dad was an old-school windsurfer (had the original model and the Rocket), and taught me to windsurf in the lagoon at Redwood Shores. I remember pulling up the daggerboard was key for going downwind. I tried surfing a couple of times growing up, but the number of surfers in SF was FAR fewer in those days, and my surf mentor was a guy whose nickname was "Sam Sam the very dumb man" (sorry Sam). I almost drowned with him one day at the north end of Linda Mar; plus for me surfing was always a little too meditative, but I know that I'm just lazy.

I didn't pick up windsurfing myself until my late 20's and I loved it but was put off by the amount of gear. I never actually bought any, just sailed at CSC in Berkeley and at Vela and other resorts with demo gear. I went to Isla Margarita in 1999 or 2000 and took a couple of kite lessons but blew a disc in my back chasing some German guy on my sailboard, and that took me out of the water for several years. I did a lot of cycling, some river kayaking and indoor climbing and other stuff in the meantime. In late 2007 I was riding southbound over the GG and saw someone kiting outside the bridge, surfing that amazing swell that is sometimes out there, and I knew immediately that I had to get back in the water. I called around and ended up taking some lessons from Brendan 'H-Wood' at Waddell late that season, went to the DR in early 2008 for a week of warm-water lessons and started riding Crissy that same summer. 10 days in Brazil that fall really helped accelerate and cement my strapless and beginning wave skills. Since then I've been a pretty dedicated kiter, mostly chasing waves and wave-like terrain, now enjoying learning to ride foil boards too.

Thx to the Crissy crew I do now have a SUP too and have a lot of fun riding small-medium waves on that too. I find the SUP way more fun than prone surfing because I can put my whole body into it, and SEE where I'm going.

When people ask me about this "crazy" kite? thing, I explain that to me it's like sailing+surfing, that I've always loved sailing and my 6' yachtboard requires no maintenance, no slip fees and fits in the back of my car.

Kiting rules! thx, fun topic.
-- Lose the Handles

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:59 pm

snowboarding (id say I gave it up but snowkiting counts in my book)
skateboarding
skimboarding
bodysurfing
sailboarding
wakeboarding
wakesurfing
surfing (until I almost drown)
bungee skimming (sketchy)
and of course kiting...

things I want to try:
cable
hydrofoil (on a kite)
parasailing
hanggliding
basejumping (I don't really want to try it but some of the BJ videos are flat out crazy)
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

mikecim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikecim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:18 pm

I enjoy sailing, kayaking, swimming, and now getting into kiting. :)