Surf now, kite later...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitenaked
Old School
Old School
Re: Surf now, kite later...

Post by kitenaked » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:26 am

The Wainman Passports are specific to what you are looking for. Nice width and volume.

We have both the 5-8 & 5-11 new and demo's in stock!

They come complete with bags, rear deck pads, fins.

5-8 http://www.wainmanhawaii.com/boards/passport/58
01-passport-5.8.jpg
01-passport-5.8.jpg (197.84KiB)Viewed 3274 times
5-11 http://www.wainmanhawaii.com/boards/passport/511
01-passport-5.11.jpg
01-passport-5.11.jpg (192.12KiB)Viewed 3274 times
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:35 pm

sc-surfer wrote:My go to 'dualie' is a 6'2" Firewire surfboard with one extra layer of 6oz glass on the deck. It surfs great (obviously) and on the kite it works really well too. With the extra layer of glass and the super strong Firewire construction I have no heel dents even after boosting little strapless airs on it.
Just watch craigslist for used boards. Got the last one for $200 with a really nice Dakine travel bag!! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I kite this board, the flexfire version, its great. I like it for bigger surf and only when I'm actually riding a wave, not so much for cruising. It handles steep drops nice and can take high speeds well. I want a smaller board, like a 5'4" squash tail Dominator... for doing more freestyle surf kiting, took a demo from L2K with this board and fell in love. I can't surf (except in Hawaii)... fwiw. The 5'10" Firewire Hellfire is a nasty board also, it provides more flotation and can be ridden with less power = easier to surf. All these boards are 8 weeks out, if you find a used one its worth it.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Surf now, kite later...

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:01 pm

NC,

I agree. The 6'2" is pretty big. But in the surf it's great. I also have a 5'6" Hellfire. It's fun but when you are really powered, the super wide midpoint and extra thickness make it tough to lay on a rail for bottom turns. Super fun when not overpowered though. I have the first gen kite version and it is pretty heavy. Supposedly the new ones will be lighter.

I've been eyeing the taj model or whatever they are calling it as my next board but then I rode the Vanguard. Bro, that board is FUN. See my review from a couple of weeks back. You would not believe how well it rides. It looks so freakin wide but turns well and surfs like you won't believe. I'm on the list for one of the first kite models in a 5'4". I think it will be my go to board for anything under head high!

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:07 pm

etxxz wrote:I'd recommend you kept your titanic for surfing until you're good enough to move to a smaller board
i submit that as long as you stay on that long stick you'll never be "good enough" to move down. if you want to ride short, ride short. It's really a different skill set. long boards will teach you how to ride with your rails, cross step and line up for waves early. these skills won't directly transfer to a shorter board and really don't help much for kiting either.
etxxz wrote:You can almost kite on anything. Kite your titanic : P
this i totally agree with

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:47 pm

NCKite_Ryder wrote: I can't surf (except in Hawaii)... fwiw.
Haha! Feel the same way really, surfed my last five years in Hawaii and when I got to California, board in hand, I was just thinking, "What the fu¢k is this?!" Then I discovered kiteboarding.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:12 pm

lol you guys are spoiled... just wait winter season is upon us.

I'm originally from FL, i think Cali is the biznit.
Surfed Maui... yeah youre right. wth..
sc-surfer wrote:
I have to respectfully disagree...

Kiting a titanic isn't fun... etc etc etc
So i wasn't saying to kite the titanic. I was was saying learn to surf on the titanic AND / + get a short board for kiting. If you move to a shortboard for *surfing*, specially a narrow one, before you're ready all you're going to do is paddle paddle paddle occasionally springing to your feet only to fall right off it again.

That Wainman Passport is a board i'd surf and kite actually.. Their biggest one tho at 5'11" x 20.5 x 2. 3/8". I saw it in person at Chris' shop. I'm lazy and like a board that gets on the wave with minimal effort. I'm not out there to win the surf open. I actually do enjoy surfing a titanic. Doubles my surf to float time ratio.

Roosterfish
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roosterfish » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! Think I'll look around for a good deal on a firewire board.

C