3rd upper launch erosion - done 2016

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
le noun
Old School
Old School
Re: 3rd upper launch erosion - done 2016

Post by le noun » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Better start launching from the lower launch and make friends there so you can be a local there in two years. :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:55 pm

okay then. I like Dave's idea. a few hundred sandbags would probably make a pretty big difference...worth a try i figure.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Funny,

I emailed SFBA and Forster City and got Zero response over the week.

ok so back again as some knowledgeable people seem to read this topic. Who are the correct people to connect to in Forster City as want to connect to them directly. Please send them to me as PM if you dont want to see them in the forum.

I really doubt that one could sandbag this issue as we tried many years ago, the bags you see at low tide, and the result was zero. Really zero. We need a comprehensive approach to solve the issue.

G

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:53 am

I work for a public works landscape contractor and we have done some mitigation planting on the bayfront levee near the launch. maggiora and ghilotti was the GC and did all the earthwork and erosion control netting, my company then planted the site with 2000+ native plants after they finished. the work we did was for the city of san mateo.

This is a copy of the grading plan, erosion control netting was placed on top of the finished grades and secured with staples etc... then we cut holes in the netting for the native plantings.

Grading Plan
BayfrontLeveeGradingPlan.jpg
BayfrontLeveeGradingPlan.jpg (356.38KiB)Viewed 8537 times
Planting Plan
PlantingPlan.jpg
PlantingPlan.jpg (361.37KiB)Viewed 8537 times
Cover Sheet
Cover.jpg
Cover.jpg (274KiB)Viewed 8537 times
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:47 am

The good news is with the shoreline eroding and the bay rising several brand new spots should be coming online by 2016

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Dave is correct. Several years ago some good intentioned locals cleared an opening in the upper lake/cove so it would be easier to come in and land and relieve the congestion in the cove which is used to launch.

In retrospect, I believe this new gap created a greater/faster flow of water in and out of the lake/cove which I think may be the largest single reason for the erosion. In the short term, I think the fix may be refilling the gap with "sand bags." The sand bags would be the same as those that were used at Coyote Pt to build the ramps to the water. They would be filled with the same material as used at Coyote as the bags and filler have already been approved by the BCDC.

Also need to remember that the launching cove did not exist. It was manmade by Enrique who got permission from Foster City and who had the large equipment necessary. He moved rocks and built the point to the left of the launch cove. i don't know what if any this also affected the erosion.
steve

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:39 pm

n retrospect, I believe this new gap created a greater/faster flow of water in and out of the lake/cove which I think may be the largest single reason for the erosion.
I disagree. The rocks were moved ~2006 and if you look at the erosion graph it has been linear since 2000. Also, only a small section of rocks were moved, and these were added to the levy outside the opening. I suspect the erosion is combination of factors:
- The original rock levy is sinking and breaking apart
- Rising sea level
- There used to be lots of plants in the cove but they were sprayed (invasive). I think this was around 2004.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 am

Perhaps efforts should be put toward a much longer term goal of having kite bars with retractable lines. Launch your kite 5 feet away from you, engage mechanism to feed out lines, kite till your heart's content, retract lines, land 5 feet away. Then we too could launch from carpet-covered rip rap.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:57 am

having kite bars with retractable lines
Cory did it 25 years ago:
http://youtu.be/IKYwpPPHxaM

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:31 pm

jrg wrote:
having kite bars with retractable lines
Cory did it 25 years ago:
http://youtu.be/IKYwpPPHxaM
This is amazing!!!
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein