Where to get foil boards?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitecrazy
Regular
Regular
Where to get foil boards?

Post by kitecrazy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:24 pm

I've seen a couple more people riding foil boards at Sherman. I know there are a few different manufacturers out there but where are people buying them from?

Anyone have a foil board they are looking to get rid of...?

If you've tried riding one or currently ride one, what is your opinion of the board you have?

I've pondered making one and know that kiteforum.com has a board making area that has info about homemade foil boards but with a newborn at home I don’t have the time to throw at making a new board.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where to get foil boards?

Post by Loscocco » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:22 pm

http://www.taaroa-kitefoil.com is a French company that makes some of the latest performance foil boards.

That is the one that Bryan Lake is seen riding against the AC72 in this video.
Pretty amazing performance for not costing $10,000,000+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMbwBAts-bE[/video]
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

mikelu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikelu » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:24 am

Kite Crazy
I just purchased my foil on Maui, Its a LIFT, they are the Easiest to learn on from what ive been told. You sould check with Kite the Bay I believe they are a Lift dealer. Get with me when you get one we can noseplant together. Also I spoke with Alex Aguera he is now making foil boards . hope this helps.
Maui Mike

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:58 am

I would ask Lodwik, cool dude! always at sherm
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

rowboat
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by rowboat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:35 pm

You can get one from MHL / Lift by emailing Nick@mhlcustom.com -- mine is in the works. I was just in the DR and rode his boards a bunch, as well as an older Carafino foil that I borrowed for the trip. The Carafino was somewhat heavier/slower but perhaps even easier to ride, the Lift beautifully designed and built, lighter (all carbon), very smooth riding and a bit faster. Nick said that Lift will have interchangeable freeride/race foils soon (if not already). My interest is freeriding so I'm going LIFT.
-- Lose the Handles

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:00 pm

A bit off-topic, but how hard is it to ride a foil? Does it really require one of the $1500 lessons Captain John is slanging, or could I realistically manage to teach myself if I wanted to?

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:55 am

Its looking like my pocket book forces me to make a foil board instead of buy one.
Lodwik says Carafino is no longer making foilboards...as a result he's already ordered one from Zeeko. I think he's getting the Makaira.
Lodwik also tried Sheldon's custome one-off foil and liked it. I doubt Bruce will make another.
The MHL and Taaroa board and foil sets are all over $2500 I've found. Way too much for my poor blood.

I have low cost avenues to design/make/experiment with low tech foil boards which I'll most likely pursue.

Every foilboarder I know has learned to ride their foils on their own. None of them have paid the $1500. Will the lessons save some painful crashes...possibly. Part of the fun in learning is doing it on your own.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:44 pm

get me a sample. Will get it digitally scanned and then printed with a 3d printer.

The cost is a joke with the technology available.

New set of race fins? I will print you a set. Haha.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

rowboat
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by rowboat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:37 pm

@Frappes - I just spent a few days learning to ride one and from my point of view it was very challenging. The foil generates a TON of lift/leverage and will throw you at all sorts of angles, often towards the foil if you're not very careful. After about 6-7 hours on the water I was riding in both directions and starting to make turns, not gybing or making transitions yet, still falling off often but also riding for minutes at a time. Now, 6-7 hours may not sounds like a lot, but riding the foil required my FULL concentration and ANY distraction resulting in getting pitched into the water... and I have been riding boards for many years.

@kitenaked - interesting idea, and you're probably right that before long you'll be able to print a foil that's strong enough to ride... but at the moment I'm sure you could print the *shape* of the foil, but probably not something as strong as carbon fiber layup. I would be super interested in someone proving otherwise, though.
-- Lose the Handles

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Im in. I can get 1/2" stainless steel .065" wall tubing from work and tube fittings. Use that as the core of the foil/ part of the stringer (which u would be able to tig some plate to and tap holes for straps. From there its a matter of shaping some foam and a carbon fiber / carbon kevlar layup.