Kite trip to Maui

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Kite trip to Maui

Post by Col.kiteman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:04 pm

http://www.campolowalu.com/ must check it out. If u wanna camp let me know. Ill even send u with some camping gear u can use and leave in my storage unit. Ill be there in december. Ill probably stay in the cabins for four days snd a condo for 6. Cabins are 20/pp/night and sites are 20/night. Ive been there. Great snorkeling reef with turtles and reef sharks. The cabin bac doors are about 40' from waters edge, community bathroom, shower, and messhall complete with kitchen to use as well as fridge to keep some food in. Great vibes, good community. Defines spirit of aloha. We usually spend at least a couple days there every time we go. Only downside is its about 35 minutes from kite beach. But its 10-15 from lahaina and 20 min from north kihei. Im totally letting the cat out of the bag here. A well kept secret of the valley isle

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:42 am

had i not been married i would have rented a VW Westfalia and just drive around the island. There are a few people on craigslist renting them. Most come with showers and all. That would have been an awesome thing to do.

picketts
Joey
Joey

Post by picketts » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:42 pm

I am looking to do a solo kite trip this month (March). I have never been to HI but it looks like last march was pretty weak and the one before was kiteable but not exactly ripping. Will I get to kite most days? Is there another location in March that you'd recommend? The goal of this trip is singular: kite. So I want to try the best spot i can within reasonable flying distance form SFO.

cheers,
m

Rakky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rakky » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:44 am

I was there 2 weeks ago. Only had one decent kiting day at kite beach out of 4. Waves were great. The wind on the inside was unpredictable, but much better on the outside. Check forecasts.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 am

La Ventana is still good in March (historically at least). I think SPI is starting to ramp too.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:04 am

No wind on Maui now, it's been lots of rain there for some time...
http://www.mauiwindcam.com

Sandman_510
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandman_510 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:50 am

picketts wrote:I am looking to do a solo kite trip this month (March). I have never been to HI but it looks like last march was pretty weak and the one before was kiteable but not exactly ripping. Will I get to kite most days? Is there another location in March that you'd recommend? The goal of this trip is singular: kite. So I want to try the best spot i can within reasonable flying distance form SFO.

cheers,
m
Central CA coast is a decent bet during spring. March not as good as peak months of April or May

Maui is 50/50 for wind in winter and 90% in summer

Hatteras or SPI are on in spring