Kite trip to Maui

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Artem
Contributor
Contributor
Kite trip to Maui

Post by Artem » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi guys,

I'm planning for a solo kite trip to Maui somewhere end of Aug, early September. I'm not a big traveler and I've never been to Hawaii. Is there wind this time of the year? Is Maui the place to go? Any recommendations where to stay and stuff would be much appreciated. I'd like to do both, flat water and waves.

Thanks in advance.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kite trip to Maui

Post by etxxz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Maui is a great place to go during that time... and not just to kite.

Its low season. There's wind every day. Its warm. You need to be mobile to get to the waves but no problem.

I'll pm you a guy i know from which you can rent an oldie nissan for like $18/day. Don't stay in one place more than one night. Move around. The island is awesome and has tons to see and do. That's how we traveled there last year... not to mention we coincided with a dozen other local kiters there for a week.

Things to do.
Surf (i rented a board the whole time i was there vs bringing my own)
Hike (waterfalls forests natural pools beaches)
Luau (no need to pay $100+ per person, i made that mistake)
Kite every day (kite beach during the day, kihei in the afternoons)
Find blow holes (all over)
Zip Lines (hella fun!)

Hotels don't really get cheaper than $100/ni that's about the most expensive part of the trip for us. We drove the whole island. In 10 or so days just once we stayed in the same hotel. Even slept in a car one ni driving around the Hana side cuase its super long and we wanted to do some hikes the next morning. Lol on my birthday too. (not much to see in hana :"*! )

mbzporvida
Regular
Regular

Post by mbzporvida » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 pm

North Shore !!!! MJ0_ MJ0_ MJ0_
Another trip around the sun ?

Artem
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Artem » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:01 am

Thanks etxxz,
That would be great.

What kites should I bring? (I have 7,10,12) Should I bring wetsuit/shorty?

floater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by floater » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 am

Bring all of the them. Most of the time I use a 9m but you never know. I have seen it blow 6m one day and 11m the next. The wind can change quickly.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 am

I too am planning a Maui trip, hopefully by the end of September, to visit my mom out there. I grew up on the big island and haven't been to Maui in probably two decades but I'm super excited to tour around and get some warm water kiting in for the first time.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nxnwsurfer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 am

Went to Maui in May. I know stronger winds but it was all 7 and 9m wind everyday. Second the push for north shore. You can find cheaper places in Kihei but being close to Paia and all that stuff is completely worth it. Unless you have a family that wants a little shelter from wind at beach everyday.

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Kimo's Car rental - great deals, mediocre cars/vans. =- =-
Budget Accomodations: Rainbow Surf Hostel - great price, fun people, not too far from Kite Beach. Not very clean but survivable.

Bring all the kites you can carry. Use curbside check-in to avoid luggage fees.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Bring your small gear... I've brought my big stuff before but only used a 6 or 8m... maybe throw a 10 in but seriously Maui is all about HIGH winds! locals don't have big kites there for the most part. Also if your are bringing a golf bag bring one (1) club... saved my good friend and my dad when they were asked to open their bags to see what's in it. One Club = FREE, no Club = 100$. AND unless you are blessed w/ a swell I wouldn't bother bringing a surfboard.. no surf w/out swell.

I prefer Kihei over north shore or Paia... especially if you are rolling with the lady, she not gonna like the 30knot wind every day in N.Shore. Paia also doesn't feel like its "on the beach". Go on Craigslist and look for a cheap condo and negotiate if you're on the budget. I've found several places, ocean view in Kihei, for 75$... you have to book w people early though, and a fair amount of trust is involved.

Have fun! I love that island, one of my favorite places in the world... with or without kiting.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Maui airport was the only airport ever to have caught me with my "golf bag."

I had one club in it, but they said that as long as I had a board in there they'd charge me the $100. This was Hawaiian airlines.