Where to Live in Silicon Valley

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:21 pm

I may have to move to Silicon Valley for work (think Sunnyvale/Cupertino/Santa Clara). It's either that or commute from Emeryville, which doesn't seem like fun. My only visits to the area in recent years have been to Third Ave. I would, of course, like to live close to Third for obvious reasons but I would also need something that's "affordable" (a relative concept, I realize) and not too far from work.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods (not top of the line, but not the ghetto)?

What's a "reasonable" price for a one-bedroom?

Are there are any other decent kiting spots in the area besides Third?

Anybody with experience commuting from the Oakland area to Silicon Valley?

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Where to Live in Silicon Valley

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:41 pm

move to the coast. easy commute and well worth it

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:50 pm

[quote]
Any suggestions for neighborhoods (not top of the line, but not the ghetto)?
>>>Mt view, sunnyvale, santa clara cities are all decent with lots of white collar worker bees. Can't really recommend a particular neighborhood though. Although Mt view would be closest to 3rd ave.

What's a "reasonable" price for a one-bedroom?
>>> around 2K per month
Are there are any other decent kiting spots in the area besides Third?
>>> 3rd ave is the nearest kiting spot, then Alameda

Anybody with experience commuting from the Oakland area to Silicon Valley?
>>> dont even think about it unless you like sitting in traffic for 1.5 hour each way. If you like the east bay, and work in the south bay, you dont want to live north of Fremont due to the awful commuting traffic

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Wow, the questions keep getting better & better.

Sandman_510
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandman_510 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 pm

San Mateo hills area not too far commute and nearby access to many killer kiting sites.

Definitely don't drive down there from Eville. The Capitol Corridor is pretty decent ride down there, as a mass transit option

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Depends on your age and priorities, where you end up working, and what you can afford. When I was younger and first moved here my best employment options were in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale so I lived here but it's a pain to get to Third. I got offers in Foster City and San Mateo around the time I bought a house in Santa Clara but realized the windy season is so much shorter than the long-drive-to-work-in-traffic season (and ironically turned them down in exchange for a move to Oregon that lasted a decade). My friends are avid windsurfers just starting a family who can work (literally) anywhere and chose Foster City to be close to (and see) Third.

My advice: spend at least a year renting and feeling out jobs. If your job is in E-ville then live in that area or consider along the BART line to put you closer to CA92 to hit 3rd. If your job is in the south bay consider along the CA85 corridor or further up the peninsula as I believe the southbound 101 and 280 drives are easier than northbound (and you'll be enroute to 3rd). Companies have spread out geographically here these days and getting closer to Sherman Island may be an option too. In September when kids go back to school rental openings should improve a little, too. Just stay 'portable' at first.

Consider your overall lifestyle beyond kiting - walking to downtown bars, road or mountain biking, etc. Think outside the box - while most people around here drive their cars just about everywhere, there are some OK (not great) public transportation options, and I've found bike commuting to be the best-kept secret to avoiding traffic here. Putting in early hours to leave work early helped me too, or splitting up hours when I teleconferenced with Asia or Europe.

After all, once you get sucked up in a demanding Silicon Valley career you may not have as much free time to kite as you want anyway... good luck!!

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Shred is right. Just get here and spend some time figuring it out. It's a BIG place.

For me, the coast is a no brainer but I don't go over the hill to the valley much. My wife does, but she still prefers coastal living with a commute to valley living with no commute.

No matter what, it'll take awhile to get your head around the tons of options here.