Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
I got the ripstop at ebay at a discounted price.
Sometimes you get lucky and get deals. This is why this build was less thsn 400 retail .
On a regular sale, I buy Teijin ripstop at emmakites.com
It cost 10 bucks a yard. The nylon blend is cheaper, I think 5 bucks a yard, but you have to verify that on their site.
The same goes for the dacron. Just browse at ebay to get the best deal. My source for dacron is sailrite, it can get expensive.
Kite flew fine after fiddling with the bridles. Uncortunately, I pumped the kite up too hard and the bladder blew inside. Surprised the leading edge did not rip. I was trying to compensate for a twisting issue at the corners during a down power stroke.
The big fat leading edge helped (12 inch diameter, 5 inch on the tip).
I have two solutions for it. For thos build I will need to redo the bridal.
On my next version, the canopy needs to be swept in a little bit and make the corner edge narrower.
damn, the bladder is gonna cost me another hundred bucks
So after a couple of hiccups, including the inadvertent blowing up the bladder, fixed the kite and got it flying successfully today.
Fixes for this version:
1) Instead of building a new bladder, I went ahead and successfully glued together a 3 foot bladder tear.
3) Changed the bridles to compensate for the distortion during power stroke issue. I guess this kite likes long bridles.
Other than a few bugs. I'd say this is a successful alpha build. I will have to clear up my bug report tickets in my git repository before I can call this a virtual "production ready" item so I can get it to beta state.
A few pics this afternoon. Mike took some video footage of the kite flying a week ago. I'll see if I can get those shoots from him.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests