Ranking Norcal Kiting Sites Difficulty

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:17 pm

sloughslut wrote:windstoked for beach captian! MJ0_ NOT! Lo)%

I vote for windstoked and turbinedude as beach co-captians!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MjrKrash
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ranking ... Difficulty

Post by MjrKrash » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Hey All,
I'm an extreme outsider here and my opinion might not count for much but I've spent the last 10 days here kiting. I've kited Sherman several times, Marina Bay Several times, 3rd Ave. Crissy Field and Waddell for the first time this trip. The only spot that was difficult was Crissy and that was because I had de-powered the kite too much during the launch and learned first hand about the flaky shadowed wind at the launch. (Fluffed twice to the ground before getting out). Remembering useful info from Erin L. I was able to drag out and spend several hours around the bridge.

In order for the ranking system to be useful I think you need to include the kiters ability level. I've kites numerous places around the world and kited right out of the gate with no issues and less help from the locals as I have received here. ~ THANKS

Dan
_____________ _______ ____ __ _
Addicted...
Flying Ocean Rodeo Prodigys & Ozone Summits
Riding Mako & JT Pro, Secret Weapon, AllAround & Bigfoot+
http://www.erraticway.com

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Ranking Norcal Kiting Sites Difficulty

Post by OliverG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Go Dan!

peta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peta » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 pm

+1 for Ramsey' comment. Pretty much everyone can identify with the system and locals can pretty much help define what it is. Its independant of the riders (a skier or snowboarder selects run also by their own judgment of their riding level and the designation of the run).

- peta

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Regarding the simplified ranking system... Sherman gets the same rank as OB or Waddell? Really? The launch is a little sketchy but once you are on the water Sherman seems a lot less scary than 3rd Ave (can't get as far away from land, no bridge nearby, warmer water) and unlike OB or Waddell there are no crashing waves or sharks.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Thor29 wrote:Regarding the simplified ranking system... Sherman gets the same rank as OB or Waddell? Really? The launch is a little sketchy but once you are on the water Sherman seems a lot less scary than 3rd Ave (can't get as far away from land, no bridge nearby, warmer water) and unlike OB or Waddell there are no crashing waves or sharks.
Waddell also varies a lot as the season progresses. Early spring sessions are very different from the summer ones. It actually reminds me of SoCal now. Small waves and beach goers (thankfully not too many).

marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinkiter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Windstoked I'm going to try not to pile on, even though I would really like to. I'll just say that if you really want to be helpful you could find ways to get kiters to clear their gear from launch areas when they aren't launching or landing, or find a way to stop people from jumping near launches especially when there are pedestrians nearby. Make some signs, start a clinic on kitemanship and try to get some people to attend it in the parking lot, or better yet buy your own kite location and do your thing - we need new launches and hell, I might even pay a fee for a place that had great side-on and less people --but I'd prefer it if you would stop trying to modify the existing infrastructure which we all use to meet your logistical vision, and please stop trying to impose structured ratings systems on our launches. In my humble opinion, it smacks of narrow minded control freak-ness and is neither necessary nor helpful.

Shit, I ended up piling on after all. What I get for letting my opinions out of their cage :twisted:

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:06 pm

marinkiter wrote:Windstoked I'm going to try not to pile on, even though I would really like to. I'll just say that if you really want to be helpful you could find ways to get kiters to clear their gear from launch areas when they aren't launching or landing, or find a way to stop people from jumping near launches especially when there are pedestrians nearby. Make some signs, start a clinic on kitemanship and try to get some people to attend it in the parking lot, or better yet buy your own kite location and do your thing - we need new launches and hell, I might even pay a fee for a place that had great side-on and less people --but I'd prefer it if you would stop trying to modify the existing infrastructure which we all use to meet your logistical vision, and please stop trying to impose structured ratings systems on our launches. In my humble opinion, it smacks of narrow minded control freak-ness and is neither necessary nor helpful.

Shit, I ended up piling on after all. What I get for letting my opinions out of their cage :twisted:
+1 for being more civil and polite than I would have been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:53 am

I tried to find that article on the 10 most dangerous kite sites, and all I could come up with was this blog referring to the article when talking about Lanes in Maui: http://www.jeremieeloykiteboarding.com/ ... ke-my-day/

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:43 am

only reason I put Sherman as a higher ranking is because of the lack of downwind relief (I don't count little baja) and if you are not used to the wind patterns there it dies off in the mid afternoon and can pick up strong in the late afternoon. This has contributed to the accidents there.

Dan, to your point, any spot can be safe if done right. My ranking system assumes everyone is a beginner and can't go upwind. Experts skiier/snowboarders don't look at the ranking of a trail.