Ranking Norcal Kiting Sites Difficulty

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
le noun
Old School
Old School
Re: Ranking Norcal Kiting Sites Difficulty

Post by le noun » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 am

turbinedude wrote:Shadow Cliffs Recreational Area:
4/1/3
*Snack Bar Alert
Super difficult launch especially if you a sporting a 12 due to asphalt launch pad with large oak tree obstacles and wind shadows. Launch difficulty reduced to 3 if you have a friend to place you kite out on the water for a water relaunch. Once out on the water smooth sailing ahead with nothing but glass. There exists aluminum boat docks suitable for grinding purposes. Friendly people and even a snack bar. Must not enter designated swim zone, dump a kite in adjacent mining plant, or have any motorized vehicles of any type on the lake

University Marina:
4(1)/2(-)/3(1)
*Dog Alert
Very Dangerous water approach. Requires climbing down rocks to access water with kite in the air. If wind prevails you may take a 1 km journey to Golden Gate Fields "Racetrack" to land kite or water land kite prior to climbing back up rocks. West facing waters showcase concrete wall riding surfaces. For all levels of kiters it is extremely easy to launch your kites due to launch well kept grassy fields. This makes this ideal for teaching people how to fly kites. There are trails traversing a multitude of directions enabling beginners to take static flying to a dynamic level by hopping onto an all terrain mountainboard. Watch out for dog dungs, neighboring paraglider beginners, RC pilot airspace, and endangered CA Tiger salamanders.

Castles:
5/1/5
*Inverse Moat Alert
Requires launching your kite from another location and sailing to the rock perimeter surrounding the smoothest patch of isolated water in East Bay post-shadowed by castle ruins. To access water one must possess aerial clearance abilities to pass 3 feet of vertical height and 7 feet horizontal distance.
Duuuuuude. What are you on? :shock: :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:23 pm

friggin old guy wrote:Plus.....all you have to do is look at the knuckleheads that push past the skull and crossbones to get onto chair 10 at kirkwood and then quiver in fear at the top to know that such a rating system would not keep somebody from getting in over their head.

Oh, got to love The Wall! I remember seeing all the signs up at this lift warning the Heavenly folks that just had their passes upgraded to include Kirkwood and Northstar, that this terrain was far more difficult than anything at Heavenly and I'd still see hordes of knuckleheads flopping around in fear up top.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:30 am

The coast (especially OB) and Crissy are probably too dynamic to rate. You can get easy straightforward days at both then some crazy "is this really the same spot?" scenarios. On the east coast variable / sketchy / off-piste / glades etc. trails are usually arbitrarily just marked in spite of grade as double black - sort of how I feel about OB & Crissy (not-rated, Use Caution!)

The more consistent spots you might be able to evaluate according to a combination of launch & land / on-water red flags / self-rescue & downwind situation ratings though. If the spot is consistent enough the ski analogy could work - With that I'd probably say Alameda Green / 3rd Blue / Sherman Black.

Once somebody can consistently ride Sherman I think they can ride most spots around here except when they step onto one of our double blacks.. Then they better be ready for whatever comes around the next bend whether it's a mogul, a fin, a rock, a tanker, a tree, a 9'@9s closeout, or a wind shadow that wasn't there 10 minutes ago SS$$

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks all for some great input. I agree with almost everything said.
It seems most of us agree that other than ocean sites and Crissy, our launches are the sketchiest part of the overall rating. And even with a Class 1 or Green launch, onshore is where 90% of stuff happens that puts us, our gear and our access in jeopardy.
Sometimes there seems to be a schism in kiter’s approach to preserving access, with vigilant locals ruffling feathers trying hard to keep people in line, yet having an “everything’s fine” attitude when it comes to improvements. Many of the biggest problems I observe or read about here are because of lousy launches. Maybe we should put as much energy there as in enforcing launch guidelines.

JRaut
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JRaut » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:16 pm

(Potentially opening a can of worms...)

Treasure Island: 5+/3/4

TI is the most dangerous 'launch' I've seen. But it sure does blow out there.

J

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Okay, so what if the Treasure Island Development Agency built a Class 1 launch like the Hood River Event Site. What would the overall rating be for TI?

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:43 pm

windstoked wrote:Okay, so what if the Treasure Island Development Agency built a Class 1 launch like the Hood River Event Site. What would the overall rating be for TI?

I live on TI and know the TiDA well and don't hold your breath on that happening anytime in our lifetime. Seriously Would be nice though.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Loscocco's suggestions and opinions mean nothing being that he's never been to Waddell.
Raise your hand if his gear should be donated to goodwill? & pick up knitting :)

Jk we love you +1

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Loscocco » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Rob wrote:Loscocco's suggestions and opinions mean nothing being that he's never been to Waddell.
Raise your hand if his gear should be donated to goodwill? & pick up knitting :)
Jk we love you +1

Just broke my foot this weekend so yeah i have taken up knitting and all kiting gear is being donated to goodwill.
Never have kited Waddell.. i know its strange since i have kited in dozens of other spots around the world... Maybe when my foot heals.
Thanks for the love!
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Ranking Norcal Kiting Sites Difficulty

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:18 am

Loscocco wrote:
Rob wrote:Loscocco's suggestions and opinions mean nothing being that he's never been to Waddell.
Jk we love you +1

Just broke my foot this weekend so yeah i have taken up knitting and all kiting gear is being donated to goodwill.
Never have kited Waddell.. i know its strange since i have kited in dozens of other spots around the world... Maybe when my foot heals.
Thanks for the love!

Never? I think a carpool is in order!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD