Should Sherman Be Upgraded?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Should Sherman Be Upgraded?

Post by recoprianto » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 pm

windstoked wrote:
etxxz wrote:just because you were there this weekend and freaked out doesnt mean the place needs to be expanded.
I wasn't specifically addressing the crowds at Sherman, I was addressing a site that breaks all the rules of an ideal launch. My concern is that if it isn't improved, it could lead to closure to kiters. It's a dangerous launch, even if only a dozen kiters are there.
Keeping it dangerous to try to discourage beginners from crowding it up seems misguided.
I could make it way safer in a few weekends with a chainsaw, bushhog, roundup and used carpeting if they'd let me. Open up the shoreline going up the left from the launch cove so there would be a side-shore launch, clear a couple acres of brush adjoining that for rigging/kite launch, and cover the bank with carpet to prevent erosion and make ingress/egress safer. Close the current launch cove to swimmers/fishermen, and you'd have a site that fit the ideal launch guidelines.
Leave it just like it is. Discouraging beginners is exactly what needs to happen. People get hurt here every year because the area is remote and it is always going to be on-shore wind. If the launch seems too sketchy to you, then you are one of those beginners that needs some skill sharpening before you return.

Not to be a buzzkill, but the entire world cannot be idiot proofed or made wheelchair accessible.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:44 pm

recoprianto wrote:t the entire world cannot be idiot proofed or made wheelchair accessible.
well said.. unfortunately lawyers/politicians are trying to change that by either banning anything that might be dangerous or suing anyone who might be at fault
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:50 pm

Having 2 spots with long beaches that are windy year-round and overcrowded with people not quite ready to be riding them is probably enough already mate 8) SS$$

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 am

tgautier wrote:Why not upgraded little Baja to be beginner friendly. Then no one gets upset at more kiters in the area.

Only downside is no downwind rescue.

Other than that I'd say leave it as is unless you can get a shower put in.
Little Baja would work great if we could get the road department to add a "Walk of Shame Lane" along Sherman Island Road so we could walk back up with our kite flying rather than blocking traffic ;)
Last edited by windstoked on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:24 am

Loscocco wrote:
recoprianto wrote:t the entire world cannot be idiot proofed or made wheelchair accessible.
well said.. unfortunately lawyers/politicians are trying to change that by either banning anything that might be dangerous or suing anyone who might be at fault
and this is why Sherman needs to remain out of sight and out of mind for those people. Then they won't even allow you to bring even a beer into the park and that'll be the end of that.
windstoked wrote: Little Baja would work great if we could get the road department to add a "Walk of Shame Lane" along Sherman Island Road so you could walk back up with your kite flying rather than blocking traffic.
another brilliant idea from you JQI*

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:17 am

Aloha wrote:Having 2 spots with long beaches that are windy year-round and overcrowded with people not quite ready to be riding them is probably enough already mate 8) SS$$
Where are these beaches? I sure would like to know so I could ride there!

Long beaches and windy year-round sounds pretty good to me - I just don't know of any place around here that meets both of those descriptions. And add overcrowded with kiters and I'm really confused... Are you guys going to some big secret kite party that I wasn't invited to? Or are you being sarcastic and/or facetious and talking about Ocean Beach and Waddell? Which really don't meet that description at all.

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Should Sherman Be Upgraded?

Post by tomerp » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Please roll lines and stack your kites!!! Don't be selfish !

Remember what you do to and for another you do to and for yourself

Thanks

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Any beach that Ramsey shows up to, instantly becomes over crowded.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 am

If you don't think they're over-crowded or can be ridden year round there is a good chance that you are the party

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:31 am

Thor29 wrote:
Aloha wrote:Having 2 spots with long beaches that are windy year-round and overcrowded with people not quite ready to be riding them is probably enough already mate 8) SS$$
Where are these beaches? I sure would like to know so I could ride there!

Long beaches and windy year-round sounds pretty good to me - I just don't know of any place around here that meets both of those descriptions. And add overcrowded with kiters and I'm really confused... Are you guys going to some big secret kite party that I wasn't invited to? Or are you being sarcastic and/or facetious and talking about Ocean Beach and Waddell? Which really don't meet that description at all.
OB and Crissy.
OB is good from November to June with a few sesh in the summer. So I think it fits in the description.
Crissy all year long. When Phil says "all year long" it means you can score at least 1 session a week. I think Crissy meets the description, but it gets skeeeeeeetchy.
I don't think I've ever seen Waddell over crowded on the beach (which, again, is what I think Phil is talking about when he talks about "overcrowded"). In the impact zone maybe, but not on the beach.
But again, remember, rideable all year long doesn't mean it's rideable for every body.
Phil has a 18m kite and a race board... Just sayin' :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D