Should Sherman Be Upgraded?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Yoda
Resident
Resident
Re: Should Sherman Be Upgraded?

Post by Yoda » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:13 pm

I strongly feel that with the inclusion of hydrofoils, now is the time to finally revise the ingress and egress at Sherman.
Last year I witnessed several interactions (aka near line tangles and angry responses), including one that involved me, with hydrofoilers who were walking their kite out on the trail that's right next to the current EXIT trail. With the wind direction at SI, kiters entering on the trail that's currently not marked as an ENTER and was traditionally a secondary EXIT, have their kites sitting at 1-2 o'clock and leaning N in direction just like kiters using the original marked ENTER. Kiters using the EXIT trail are also forced to put their kite at 1-2 o'clock as well, but leaning in a S direction due to the trail angle. With the small distance between the two trails, it's literally impossible for two kites to occupy the same space and are prone to bumping and/or tangling.
I made several comments to those hydrofoilers using that trail regarding the issue which only fell onto deaf ears. One even yelled at me for putting my kite it the correct (safe) position when exiting because I came too close to his kite which was hanging right in my way.
This new ingress/egress pattern is simply not sustainable, especially with the growth of hydrofoiling. And to all of those retro-grouches that have been regulars at SI for years, you all need to pull your heads out of your assess and accept that it's time to make some serious changes or else somebody is going to get seriously injured or injure others.
Windstoked was correct on his assessment, but now it's time to implement it! Sherman Island is no longer sustainable the way it currently is.
Last edited by Yoda on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Yoda wrote: And to all of those retro-grouches that have been regulars at SI for years, you all need to pull your heads out of your assess and accept that it's time to make some serious changes or else.
Or else what? Im gonna try and learn to foil this season so i can use that trail.Pull your head out of your ass and go kite and have fun.
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:04 pm

sloughslut wrote:
Yoda wrote: And to all of those retro-grouches that have been regulars at SI for years, you all need to pull your heads out of your assess and accept that it's time to make some serious changes or else.
Or else what? Im gonna try and learn to foil this season so i can use that trail.Pull your head out of your ass and go kite and have fun.
Lol... You weren't the first person to take "else" that way. I thought it was implied, but I changed it so people can better understand what I meant.
My goal is to have fun, SAFE fun! SI is no longer offering that now. It needs to be changed! Times have changed!
If you read the responses from years ago, you'd see the grouchy attitude towards this topic. It's time to let that go which is what the "pulling your head out of your asses" references.
Hopefully that clears some things up. Happy kiting!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:09 pm

If things don't change on the egress/ingress pattern you'll eventually discover the issue when you start foiling and using that trail. Enjoy the rude awaking! I along with many did last year. :(
My detail above should have given you a perfect perspective of the problem. Sorry if it's too complicated.

ko138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ko138 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:35 pm

The only trail that's accessible now is the foil trial. I went out and came in on it today (only 3 kites out though) Logs are everywhere.
Last edited by ko138 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:56 pm

For those uncertain what the foil launch path referred to, here is a map:
Sherman Launch.JPG
Sherman Launch.JPG (420.08KiB)Viewed 8317 times
The foilers rightly concluded that the 3rd path previously used as an alternate exit is the best entry path to the cove (I've used it sometimes when the main entry is jampacked and saved a lot of time and frustration). However, given the prevailing wind direction from the west, their kite angles over the exit path as they head out, and they should give kite right-of way to incoming kiters and put their kite near 12 o'clock to prevent a tangle. Perhaps posting a sign at the foil entry instructing foilers to yield kite position to exiting kiters, and place a sign for exiting kiters to be aware of foiler's kites would work.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 am

I started foiling last season and I've been using the same path that I use with my surfboard, which is the "Enter" path. If it's a slow day: I then walk up to the end of the cove to water start, if it's a busy day: I body drag out with the foil into the channel.
Using the third trail to walk up to the beach (foil or no foil) is silly and as describe above borderline dangerous.
Sadly, it's already hard to explain things to newcomers who think they know it all, it is even harder to explain it to seasoned kiters...
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

ko138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ko138 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Last edited by ko138 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

lieutenantglorp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lieutenantglorp » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:40 pm

ko138 wrote: Foil trail says "enter"
On the water side, or on the rigging side?

ko138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ko138 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:20 am

Was there this week. Only says "enter" on main trail but signs still make it clear. There is one missing on the exit trail (rigging side). below are photos of the signs currently on the foil trail
Rigging side:
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG (704.14KiB)Viewed 8141 times
Water side:
IMG_1322.JPG
IMG_1322.JPG (927.65KiB)Viewed 8141 times