Squeamish Squamish?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Blackbird
Regular
Regular
Squeamish Squamish?

Post by Blackbird » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 am

Just got this in email:

Hello,
THERE HAS BEEN AN IMPORTANT CHANGE TO THE NOR.
You will find NOR Change #1 attached.
The change adds an insurance requirement.
If you do not currently have insurance it may be obtained through the International Kiteboarding Association at:

http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... -insurance
Some homeowner and tenant insurance policies cover third party liability for water sports. If you rely on this type of insurance, it is up to you, the competitor, to ensure that your coverage applies to kiteboard racing.

Thank you.
See you in Squamish,

Really? 39EU for racing insurance? Here was my response:
Seriously? This is what our sport is coming to? Every event I have ever attended in competition has never had a requirement from a governing body such as this. Mountain bike racing, road racing, running event, biathalons, motorcycle track days, you get the idea. Now we are making Kite Racing even more of a hassle, with ever more passing the buck on insurance, liability, and increasing our costs more?

Seriously?

Looking forward to the races, but this is just ridiculous.

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: Squeamish Squamish?

Post by ozchrisb » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Those other sports usually buy insurance as part of the event cost and or part of their licensing/membership schemes. If you've raced with a USA cycling license that's part of what the license fee is paying for. Why the IKA would expect us to sort that out ourselves is weird. I guess you can't be an IKA member so buying the insurance is the same? But if you're going to do that you need to offer it onsite at the events! Expecting people to turn up with correct insurance paper work is just not going to work.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Squeamish Squamish?

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:16 pm

As someone who works in sports events I can assure you that requiring each entrant to provide some sort of proof of insurance is never going to work. Imagine trying to look at paperwork from dozens of sources and determining if it is legitimate, meets the requirements, etc... It would take a team of insurance experts to pull that off.
Yes, the promoter should provide event coverage, or at least allow onsite buy in of a group policy. Logistically there is just no other way to make it work.

Silly, just silly...and sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: Squeamish Squamish?

Post by kitenaked » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Our shop General Liability covers our kitesurf and SUP lessons, rental programs as well as the events (races,corpororate events, camps, etc.) we put on.

Organized demos will require signed waivers as well as credit card deposits for loss or damage.

Not necessarily our decision, but it protects everyone involved.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot