Hey 3 rd ave hot shot

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Surf Maui
Joey
Joey
Re: Hey 3 rd ave hot shot

Post by Surf Maui » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Again unless its a nickname it isn't Michael.

So that at least some good comes out of this little crap fest we have imposed upon all the readers and since I know you are undoubtedly a very experienced and well respected instructor I do have one sincere question for you. I am being sincere here and realize I am exposing myself to further analysis but I feel it may benefit others who are unclear on this nuance.
I have been taught that the best way to get the proper launch angle to the wind is (if you are the kiter) to start a bit back in the window and move forward to just where the rear lines lose their slack. Then give the thumbs up if you are ready. Conversely if you are the launcher and the kiter hasn't positioned himself correctly it would be a good idea to provide a direction to the kiter by pointing a direction for him to move to achieve the same angle as previously described, if you as the launcher doesn't have the space to maneuver around obstacles. Either way the kiter holds the ultimate responsibility for the launch command. The launcher has the right to not launch if he feels it is unsafe. Correct me if you disagree.
Here is my real question and it is sincere and not meant to try to prove my point: If the kite very slowly launches and falls back in the wind window, (in this case tumbling slowly downwind) doesn't that automatically prove that the kite is not in a hot launch position? To me a hot launch is one that originated very low in the wind window (as we intentionally do at lower launch) and then powers up hard. No chance for a slow backwards slide and tumble. (we all know that the lower launch can disprove that theory a bit as wind gusts are just weird there sometimes)
If I am wrong with my interpretation I am very willing to be educated.
BTW my lifelong passion has been flying. (Over 30 years now) I am instrument/commercial rated. If anyone knows the value of being analytical and learning for the sake of keeping yourself and passengers alive, it would be a pilot. If anyone doubts that, they ought to step into a plane piloted by an improperly trained pilot and shoot an instrument approach with zero visibility. They wont be around to express their opinions after that. I approach my kiting with the same level of consciousness that I do my flying. Arrogance isn't anywhere in the equation.
I will read your response upon my return next week. Sorry to all for this extremely negative subject. I am pretty sure that I wont be returning to this forum anytime after I receive this one response. It just hasn't been any fun.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Good Times wrote:Again unless its a nickname it isn't Michael.
Don't mind rob, he's just messing with you. 8)
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:27 pm

*bg& *bg& You guys need some good wind down there... *bg& *bg&

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Good Times wrote:Again unless its a nickname it isn't Michael.

So that at least some good comes out of this little crap fest we have imposed upon all the readers and since I know you are undoubtedly a very experienced and well respected instructor I do have one sincere question for you. I am being sincere here and realize I am exposing myself to further analysis but I feel it may benefit others who are unclear on this nuance.
I have been taught that the best way to get the proper launch angle to the wind is (if you are the kiter) to start a bit back in the window and move forward to just where the rear lines lose their slack. Then give the thumbs up if you are ready. Conversely if you are the launcher and the kiter hasn't positioned himself correctly it would be a good idea to provide a direction to the kiter by pointing a direction for him to move to achieve the same angle as previously described, if you as the launcher doesn't have the space to maneuver around obstacles. Either way the kiter holds the ultimate responsibility for the launch command. The launcher has the right to not launch if he feels it is unsafe. Correct me if you disagree.
Here is my real question and it is sincere and not meant to try to prove my point: If the kite very slowly launches and falls back in the wind window, (in this case tumbling slowly downwind) doesn't that automatically prove that the kite is not in a hot launch position? To me a hot launch is one that originated very low in the wind window (as we intentionally do at lower launch) and then powers up hard. No chance for a slow backwards slide and tumble. (we all know that the lower launch can disprove that theory a bit as wind gusts are just weird there sometimes)
If I am wrong with my interpretation I am very willing to be educated.
BTW my lifelong passion has been flying. (Over 30 years now) I am instrument/commercial rated. If anyone knows the value of being analytical and learning for the sake of keeping yourself and passengers alive, it would be a pilot. If anyone doubts that, they ought to step into a plane piloted by an improperly trained pilot and shoot an instrument approach with zero visibility. They wont be around to express their opinions after that. I approach my kiting with the same level of consciousness that I do my flying. Arrogance isn't anywhere in the equation.
I will read your response upon my return next week. Sorry to all for this extremely negative subject. I am pretty sure that I wont be returning to this forum anytime after I receive this one response. It just hasn't been any fun.
The reason we throw the kite sometimes at the lower launch is because the wind is very light due to the giant wind shadow. If you noticed I don't always throw the kite even at the lower launch, sometimes, I just hold the kite until the thumps up signal and let go. You should never ever throw the kite at the upper launch, ther are no wind obstruction. If you have to throw the kite in the air to get the kite up then you won't have enough wind to kite in the water. You walk up wind or down wind to position the proper launching spot, not throw the kite to get it in the right launching spot. The proper spot is about 100 degrees to the wind.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm

shred_da_gorge wrote:*bg& *bg& You guys need some good wind down there... *bg& *bg&
We have been getting good wind everyday except today. :-)
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

schwede
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by schwede » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Enough whining Good Times please. I don't need a thesis and don't care that you are a pilot. Anyway go out kite have a good time and don't cause a scene again. Any questions on kiting ask Sonny or one of the Peanut gallery at 3rd.

mas75
Joey
Joey

Post by mas75 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:06 pm

a cabrinha kiter causing chaos? I refuse to belive it....especially if it was yellow. :-|

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Always ride with caution

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Sonny wrote:We have been getting good wind everyday except today. :-)
=- Excellent! We had a brutal heat wave but then a 9m day followed by three 7m days with big river swell at Rufus this morning. Hope to join you @3rd later next week!